Two boots or not two boots?: a drysuit question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC One Blade
C Guru

Two boots or not two boots?: a drysuit question

Post by OC One Blade »

I'm in the market for a drysuit. With Alabama winters being generally mild, I've always toughed it out with whatever I could throw together and made it OK. I realize now this is causing me to miss some prime paddling time. Most of you guys would probably laugh at what an Alabamian calls cold, but I tend to talk myself out of paddling on the "coldest" days.

I wanted to get a suit complete with socks/booties, but I have an opportunity to get one with ankle gaskets at a great price. I don't think ankle gaskets would bother me or be uncomfortable to me personally. I know some people don't like them, but I tend to tighten down the closures of paddling pants and other garments to the max. Primarily, I don't want my feet getting cold while the rest of me is nice and toasty. That just encourages me to devote that much more attention to my cold feet. I'd just as soon make the cold a "total body experience" rather than to spend good money and still have cold feet.

Anyone using ankle gaskets have any suggestions/recommendations? What foot-warming apparel works best in conjunction with ankle gaskets? Or do I chalk the "sockless" drysuit up as not really a good deal afterall and continue searching for a drysuit with socks?

As I am untrained in the intricacies of dressing for true cold weather paddling, any adivice for would be appreciated. Thanks!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Re: Two boots or not two boots?: a drysuit question

Post by Larry Horne »

besides leaving your feet cold and wet, ankle gaskets make the suit a pita to get off. never again for me.
maybe it's a good enough price that it would be worth the cost to have socks put on it?
Larry
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

That confirms a lot of what I was thinking already. Not crazy about the idea of a suit without socks. Having socks put on it might be worth checking into, though. Thanks
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

My first drysuit didn't have socks and yes, it was a pain to take on and off. But the clincher was paddling on a 40-degree day in 40-degree water. I've never had such cold feet. I sent the suit to Kokatat to have socks added. I'm now on my fourth drysuit and all have had socks since then--and I've happily paddled in colder conditions.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Wow, the first two comments are both homeruns- exactly the advice I was looking for and needed to hear.
milkman wrote:the clincher was paddling on a 40-degree day in 40-degree water. I've never had such cold feet.
That's a clincher for me as well. No ankle gaskets for me!

The suit is a true GoreTex suit, but it isn't a Kokatat (which is what I would prefer). Anyone have somewhere they would recommend for having socks put on it? I'd consider doing it myself, but I'd rather have it done professionally if done at a reasonable price. Depending on costs, I may just hold out/save up for a Kokatat and be done with it.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I bought two Kokatat drysuits from this seller last September, they were perfect, couldn't tell they had ever been worn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kokatat-Gore-te ... 130wt_1037

http://myworld.ebay.com/akkayakschool/? ... 4340.l2559

Both auctions I was the high bidder but below the reserve and was given a second chance offer.

I got the best deal of pretty much anyone that I know. This outfit buys a LOT of suits so just keep checking the lisings till they put the one that you want up. Oh, and this really is a sea kayak school that is selling them, I know someone that took classes there two years ago.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm already cooling off on the drysuit that was seeming like a good deal. I gotta have some socks!
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

getting off the water and into street cloth takes about a minute with my drysuit /sock combo. the ankle gasketed siut takes ten minutes and really is no fun putting it on and off. get the socks attached. :wink:
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Boots blow!

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

I must disagree with the boot lovers. Every drysuit I've owned with booties ends up leaking in short order because the feet take so much abuse. The booties are always uncomfortable when stuffed into a pair of sandals or other footwear. They fill up with water and can't be drained until you remove the drysuit. I find ankle gaskets with warm neoprene booties the best and most durable foot solution. I would never get a drysuit with booties again. To each their own, I guess.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

hazardharry wrote:getting off the water and into street cloth takes about a minute with my drysuit /sock combo. the ankle gasketed siut takes ten minutes and really is no fun putting it on and off. get the socks attached. :wink:
What he said. 95% of my paddling is in the form of short local sessions - time spent gearing up / down is time that could be spent on the water.
1blade
c

Post by 1blade »

Purchase a dry suit with the booties. Your feet will thank you. NRS in Moscow, ID has some for a decent price. If your local go upstairs to the "frused" department and your in a paddlers heaven. I purchased a brand new drysuit for only $400 big ones. Its discontinued but it was never worn. I love mine.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Get the drysuit with booties.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Thanks for all of the input. I'm leaning towards a suit with integrated socks and leaning towards waiting for a Kokatat as well. I don't know if the money saved on the suit I was considering would be worth the hassle and added expense of getting socks attached. Plus Kokatat is a known quantity when it comes to quality and durability. I would have questions about the longevity of most other brands.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

As a boater in the Pacific northwest where we have to wear a drysuit pretty much the entire season, I vote for drysuit with booties. The booties make all the difference, on a cold day when your portaging or walking at river level having dry feet makes all the difference. Cold feet will make you feel (if not actually) colder, plus it just feels good to step in the water and not get wet. Plus on a real cold day it's hard enough swimming with cold hands, but your feet never really warm back up (at least mine don't) on a truly cold day.
The line will become apparent
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I used to wear a drysuit with ankle gaskets and wore latex socks, which kept my feet dry. Yes, a bit of a pain to put on and off, but it was bomber proof.

I now wear a drysuit with sewn in socks, goretex style, and the socks are prone to leaking, either the taped seams let go or the material gets pins holes from sand in my booties.

Both options are workable. I think most people like the built in socks because they are quick and easy to don on and off but remember, you don't get in and out of the sock that much, really it is only once a day on and then off.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;