C1 Playboating massacre!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

C1 Playboating massacre!

Post by leclercraven »

Bought myself a small C1 playboat recently, a Liquidlogic V56 to do park and play with my K1 buddy. I don't want to become a world surfer champ, I just want to be able to surf some of the bigger waves that I can't properly do with my bigger OC1 (Raven). But after a few runs, I've come to realize that maybe C1 playboating is not for me. :( I spend so much time trying to balance myself with braces in waves and currents that I cannot properly paddle the thing to get any kind of descent speed to do anything. I basically float like a corkscrew trying to stay upright!! The only good thing is that it is extremely easy to roll, thank god because I flip every 10 minutes! I think I must have done about 50 rolls yesterday!:lol: Now, I know that C1 playboating is harder than K1, but this is ridiculous!!! Can't even ferry properly...the boat is super slow and wants to stop in every small waves and currents....

My question is : Is the boat simply too small for me? (5'11'', 193 lbs) Are there other boats out there that could be better for me or are they all like that, super wobbly, slow and unstable as a C1.

I don't mind the idea of wearing a squirt though, kinda fun not having to bail all the time. But again, I don't flip very often when river running in my OC1! I was thinking of maybe getting a bigger, longer river running creek kayak and convert it into a C1, but I'm hesitating because I don't know how it will behave. Is it still going to be wobbly and slow or a lot more stable and faster than my small payboat?

Maybe I should just save some $ and buy me a L'Edge, looks really stable and people seem to be able to surf some nice big waves with it...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: C1 Playboating massacre!

Post by sbroam »

I'm not familiar with that boat, but it sounds too small - maybe not for everybody your size, but for you where you are now. Try an older, bigger boat with some hull speed. I have a WaveSport Score which even with me at 220#+ and an 8" saddle is comfortably stable and yet has hull speed. I can't keep up with the looping youngsters, but I manage to have a blast squirting and surfing.

2 extra feet of length can make a world of difference, especially when adjusting to C-1ing from OC-1ing in an even bigger boat.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

sbroam wrote:I'm not familiar with that boat, but it sounds too small - maybe not for everybody your size, but for you where you are now. Try an older, bigger boat with some hull speed. I have a WaveSport Score which even with me at 220#+ and an 8" saddle is comfortably stable and yet has hull speed. I can't keep up with the looping youngsters, but I manage to have a blast squirting and surfing.

2 extra feet of length can make a world of difference, especially when adjusting to C-1ing from OC-1ing in an even bigger boat.
Thanks! That's encouraging!
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I agree that it sounds small. I m about your size and I m in a superstar.

You re coming from one of the most forgiving boats you can buy.... you re going to get spanked a few times switching to a play boat.

You should still save for a l'edge... everyone should have 3 boats.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I don't know I agree about switching to a older long boat. Lots of C1ers are paddling with modern designs.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

ian123 wrote:I agree that it sounds small. I m about your size and I m in a superstar.

You re coming from one of the most forgiving boats you can buy.... you re going to get spanked a few times switching to a play boat.

You should still save for a l'edge... everyone should have 3 boats.
How does the Superstar handle? Is it stable? Does it have some speed and glide? I found that with absolutely no stability and glide I cannot do any kind of descent paddling strokes in my Liquidlogic V56!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

leclercraven wrote:. . . My question is : Is the boat (V-56) simply too small for me? (5'11'', 193 lbs) Are there other boats out there that could be better for me or are they all like that, super wobbly, slow and unstable as a C1. . . I was thinking of maybe getting a bigger, longer river running creek kayak and convert it into a C1. . .
I'm like you -- an experienced OC-1er, trying to upgrade my playboating skills by switching to a C-1.

FWIW, your woes sound pretty normal. Like you, I started off in a Vision-56, and found it much too jittery. And I'm lighter than you, at 165ish.

I switched to a Wheelboy, and found the extra width was helpful.

I spent a couple of days in the WB on bunny waves at a playpark, and that helped the confidence immensely. Yes -- I rolled and rolled and rolled, and that, in turn added to the confidence.

Sure, a little spud boat is going to be frustrating running a river down to your fave-wave. It's a big transition from an OC-1 to a stubby C-1. Smaller steps! Pick up a bigger river-runner, say a creeker, or maybe a Remix or Karnali,) for general down-river practice. You can still surf some in a bigger hull. And seek out a Park'n Play wave, or a Playpark, to get used to the V-56.

Bottom line -- don't give up! Stick with it, and be prepared to get spanked.

Rick
Attachments
Trying to relax on a really scary wave in Kelly's PlayPark, during WESTFEST.
Trying to relax on a really scary wave in Kelly's PlayPark, during WESTFEST.
C'est l'aviron. . . !
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Pretty stable. I m still upside down a fair bit somedays though. There's no glide to speak of. I have open boats for creeking and river running- I wanted a play boat.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

ian123 wrote:Pretty stable. I m still upside down a fair bit somedays though. There's no glide to speak of. I have open boats for creeking and river running- I wanted a play boat.
I had to paddle upstream for about 10 mins to get to a level 4 wave that's why glide would've been good. And since there were no glide, I wasn't able to get to any good waves from the eddy. I was constantly bracing and abeaming on my on-side because of the wobbleness.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

ian123 wrote:I don't know I agree about switching to a older long boat. Lots of C1ers are paddling with modern designs.
Yes... but most don't jump straight from a boat as big as a Raven to a boat as small as a V56. I'm not suggesting he give up on a "modern" design, he just might benefit from taking a few steps into it. And everybody has their own learning curve. I went Viper 12 - Slasher (squashed) - Whiplash. If I had gone Viper 12 -> Whiplash, I might have immediately gone Whiplash -> Viper 12.

The suggestion to try a Remix (or other "river runner") is spot on - you might find that as stable as your OC-1 with the decked boat benefits and playing won't be radically different. And yes, everybody needs 3 boats. At least :-)
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I don't know what a level 4 wave is.
Have you tried it on the Ottawa? Drag it down to pushbutton.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Liquidlogic V56
STATS
Length191 cms / 6'3.2"
Width64 cms / 25.2"
Weight14 kg / 31 lbs
Volume212 ltr / 56 gal
Cockpit Length85 cms / 33.5"
Cockpit Width48 cms / 18.9"
Minimum Paddler Weight68 kg / 150 lbs
Maximum Paddler Weight91 kg / 201 lbs

You are within the range.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

ian123 wrote:I don't know what a level 4 wave is.
Have you tried it on the Ottawa? Drag it down to pushbutton.
Oh sorry, it's the Bonnet Rouge Rapid on the Gatineau.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

As stated above, get a creeker and convert to C1 - something like a Karnali, Burn, Remix, or Jefe Grande. I just got my first C1 conversion (Jefe Grande) and I absolutely love it. It's got a 6" saddle (I'm 5'11", 145 lb) and is actually really stable, but not quite as stable as my L'Edge. The Jefe Grande is also very easy to roll, and surfs like a champ. I will not be throwing ends or anything in it, but it is a blast to paddle down the river.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

The Fluid Flirt is very stable as a C-1...the large especially so, but once you get adjusted to it you might find it a bit big for some of the moves. It also surprisingly makes a pretty nice river/play boat.