C1 Playboating massacre!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: C1 Playboating massacre!

Post by ian123 »

Paddle Power wrote:You are within the range.

Barely.
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

The vision 56 is way too small especially for starting out. I used to paddle that same boat and it was very hard to paddle down stream at 5'10" 160. I liked it for playboating. But either way you just got to get used to paddling a playboat c1. I promise if you stick with it you will be rewarded :)
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Look at a Project X.Lots of up front volume that carries to the stern.Small steps, look at a wider, friendlier boat.Stick with it,a little learning curve but you will have a bombproof role.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I was recently given a Dagger Medieval C1 conversion (scary is all I hear from most) and it at least has hull speed and primary stability. Still totally kicks my butt though. The switch from a big OC (Stinkeye at 9'6" in my case) to a 57 gallon slicy playboat is HUGE. Keep at it, it'll make you better, at least that's what I keep telling myself :D
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

sbroam wrote:The suggestion to try a Remix (or other "river runner") is spot on - you might find that as stable as your OC-1 with the decked boat benefits and playing won't be radically different. And yes, everybody needs 3 boats. At least :-)
And then, once comfortable in a bigger C-1 like a Remix or creeker, don't overlook the fact that there's a huge list of K hulls which are sort of hybrids, between big river-runners in the 8'+ range, and short spud boats. These hybrids, in the mid 7' range, are short enough to be playable, but long enough to cruise more effectively down-river.

One of my distant projects will be to convert an old LL Hoss which, at 7' 10", will hopefully may be a good compromise.

Also, some of the older-school playboats, with long slicy ends, are mucho fun on a wave. Check out Einar's footage of BC boater Joel White in his old Prijon Delirious (LINK below).

And, finally, sbroam's suggestion of '3 boats, at least,' is pretty conservative. Remember -- He who dies with the most boats WINS! :wink:

Rick

https://vimeo.com/48925736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C'est l'aviron. . . !
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

leclerc,

Welcome to the club! Not the club of confident C-1ers, but the club of people who are trying it and are hobbling down easy runs baffled about how C-1 is possibly any fun compared to OC-1.

If it makes you feel any better, search on here for my similar thread called something like "I don't like C-1ing".

Too bad we don't live close together.

I don't have much of an update since my early attempts, because young kids are keeping me from the river. I still have the Score, Redline and Fink, but still need to tweak the outfitting on the Fink and Redline. I plan to get to the pool a bit over the winter. If I at least finish with making the boats comfy (or paddlable), I'll feel like I accomplished something! :roll:

Good luck, I hope you get out more often than I have - that would help a lot!!

Pat.

p.s. Here's my version of your experience:
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... score+fink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

What do you guys think of the CU FLY? There is someone selling his in my area and I would like to know if that would be a better choice for me? The boat is quite large, with a very long planning hull. It is open I know, but maybe I'd be better off with this type of design?
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

I've done a small video so you can witness the "massacre"! :oops: I'm with a buddy that was kayaking for the second time in his life. Quite a day, happy there were no one else there. After about 50 flips and successful rolls, I wasn't able to roll on my last flip in the rapid! Just too tired! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEpIwHQ014
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I don't think they like your music choice... it won't let me view it.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

ian123 wrote:I don't think they like your music choice... it won't let me view it.
Try it again, should work now.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Still not working. This is the message I get from Youtube:
This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

busterblue wrote:Still not working. This is the message I get from Youtube:
This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.
Sorry about that! I guess there's different copyright rules in the US! I'll re-post a version without music.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Here it is again, please let me know if it works this time. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEpIwHQ ... ture=g-upl
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

leclercraven wrote:What do you guys think of the CU FLY? There is someone selling his in my area and I would like to know if that would be a better choice for me? The boat is quite large, with a very long planning hull. It is open I know, but maybe I'd be better off with this type of design?
Honestly? No. Of course I am internet expert a thousand miles away, but... I've tried one and if part of what is frustrating you is hull speed and tracking, that won't be much better. It will be more stable. But it will also be wet. The beauty of the C-1 is that it is dry. See if you can try out a longer C-1 - you'll get speed approximating what you are used to (maybe exceeding if you consider not being swamped). Of course, in an ideal world, you could show up at your favorite play spot and try every boat out...
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

The width of 25.2 inches for the boat being discussed seems pretty narrow. Any canoe that narrow is going to be tippy. For C1s, maybe the weight range is less relevant than the width because of the higher center of gravity. Does anyone have an opinion/experience on the Jackson Monstar? It is pretty wide.