Running the Cascades

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC One Blade
C Guru

Running the Cascades

Post by OC One Blade »

Thinking about getting my feet wet (and probably more) by dabbling with the Nantahala Cascades during the lower 250 cfs release that Sunday afternoon. I'd like to at least try "The Horns". Don't know about a full run. The next rapid down is Big Kahuna. Not sure I'll be doing that one. Then comes Junkyard- might do that one. Last is Chinese Feet. Not sure I'll be doing that one, but I'd like to. It looks like a neat drop. For those who know enough to have an opinion: Which would you consider the most difficult at the 250 cfs level, Big Kahuna or Chinese Feet?

Disclaimer: I alone am responsible for my own actions and safety and will run no Cascade rapid without fully assessing it in person and preferably following the line of a boater who is both familiar and comfortable on this stretch of river. Any persons offering opinions or providing feedback shall incur no liabilities should I befall an epic beatdown on any of the aforementioned rapids. :)
aweinert
c

Re: Running the Cascades

Post by aweinert »

If you are comfortable on the horns then you can do the rest of the run. At 250 Kahnuna breaks down well. Junkyard is retarded manky mank, but theres a tight line, but you have a good chance of a low consequence pin (just stay upright) . I think chinese feet is the easiest of the big three, and iit has a sweet flaky boof.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Thanks. Running the Upper tomorrow morning then scouting the Cascades. I wanna see how hard it will be to carry my boat out if it turns out I'm not very comfortable on the Horns. :D
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Hi there

I'm hoping to get over there Sunday, run the Upper and then MAYBE run the Cascades. I will have either a teal Outrage or a Lime Option in case you are looking for someone to boat with. Hope to be there around 11 to get a run on the Upper at the higher flow. May see you there.

Boatbuster
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Hi there

I'm hoping to get over there Sunday, run the Upper and then MAYBE run the Cascades. I will have either a teal Outrage or a Lime Option in case you are looking for someone to boat with. Hope to be there around 11 to get a run on the Upper at the higher flow. May see you there.

Boatbuster
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

I'll probably get started around that time. I'll be in a red Ion, and I'll look for you. Be warned- it was an absolute zoo today. Lots of people.
wncred
C Boater

Post by wncred »

hello,
i am from the nantahala area! i have been down the run more times than i can count. i will be out that afternoon doing laps so if i run across you i would be more than happy to show you down!

red
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Well, did you guys run it?

I ran the cascades and upper Saturday OC1, Sunday shredder, and then just the upper in my C1. It was awesome!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

I must admit to wimping out on the Cascades. I had good runs on the Upper on the 450 cfs release day but one painful swim on the low water day. The thought of that swim being magnified on the Cascades won out over my desire to run the Horns. :oops:

I swung by the Tellico on my way home for a few low water plunges over Baby Falls to help ease my disappointment and get my vertical fix in. A little more practice and hopefully I'll be able to hit the Cascades next April when they release again.

I had a blast though and got to meet a couple of Cboats posters.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

OC One Blade wrote:I must admit to wimping out on the Cascades. I had good runs on the Upper on the 450 cfs release day but one painful swim on the low water day. The thought of that swim being magnified on the Cascades won out over my desire to run the Horns. :oops:

I swung by the Tellico on my way home for a few low water plunges over Baby Falls to help ease my disappointment and get my vertical fix in. A little more practice and hopefully I'll be able to hit the Cascades next April when they release again.

I had a blast though and got to meet a couple of Cboats posters.
No sweat man. Lots of people had a look and decided not to run it. It was certainly bigger in person than I was expecting, but I still ran the Cascades on Saturday in my open boat, then Sunday in a shredder. I ran the upper nanty in my open boat, C1, and shredder. The Cascades were definitely intimidating (but a lot of fun) - especially Big Kahuna!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles