Shacho reviews

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Re: Shacho reviews

Post by kaz »

Well David, I'm glad you asked. I'm not one to ramble on, so this will be brief.
I wanted a boat that was fast, spins easy, and is dry. I know, who doesn't? The SHACHO is basically a shorter RUMBA, which is basically a shorter DEFIANT. The SHACHO has slightly less rocker to make it faster. The blunt ends help the boat stay closer to the surface while popping through waves.
That's about it I guess.
JKaz......
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Great... Sweet and short... Thank you
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

anyone have thoughts on the tumublehome? Doe that make it drier? narrower to paddle? Drier to roll? easier to roll?
kaz

Post by kaz »

Avlclimber,
I think the selective tumblehome in this boat makes it drier when rolling up, but not necessarily drier while paddling. I think that in the final rolling phase, when you are about to pop your head to the surface, the boat rests on the central"bubbled" area, with the final hip snap water flows out of either end. Make sense?
JKaz......
atcq
C Boater

Post by atcq »

My understanding of tumblehome generally speaking is that its mostly used as a check on the flare of the hull to keep the paddler's strokes closer to the centre-line. Flare is more important for dryness vs wetness, while bringing the sides back in close to the top (tumblehome) makes it slightly wetter when paddled, a bit drier when rolling up, and, again, allows the paddler to get closer to the centre-line of the boat with their strokes (ideally we would paddle straight through the middle, if the boat didn't physically stop this from happening)

A more experienced teacher is definitely welcome to correct me that's just been my understanding of the concept
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

You have the idea of what tumblehome is. The real application of that concept will be with each particular boat design. How it works with the Shacho will be different from other boats, like the Mohawk XL series.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
kaz

Post by kaz »

You can find more info, pictures, and video of the SHACHO on the Millbrook boats facebook page. It's a public page and you don't have to be a facebook member to view that particular page.
Attachments
boat 001.JPG
JKaz......
kaz

Post by kaz »

I'll have a Shacho available to demo at the Farmington Slalom this weekend, near Otis, MA.
JKaz......
btaylor1951
c

Post by btaylor1951 »

[Well I'm weighing in, literally as I purchased the 3rd Shacho built by John and I'm not yet an intermediate WW paddler. I'm 61 yrs, 216#s, 5'10",. I have 45 yrs paddling moving water, and 2.5 yrs paddling II-IV WW.Our test run, day 1 when I picked up my, Ed Poers and Dale Briggs shachos direct fr Kaz, we met at paddlers lane campground tweaked our outfitting, just enough to practice 1 day on the LY loop and day 2 ran the LY complete. Dale and ED are very experienced WW and accomplished paddlers, I had been paddling an MR Outrage X previous, but 1 day after the carry out on the loop I decided to weigh the boat ww ready w necesaary safety gear and -up paddle and water ottle w water and 81#'s stared back at me...So I intently watched the comments fr Kaz on the specs of the to be built shacho, everything I saw made sense to me. Bottom line I solidly love the canoe. I read Ed Ps comments and agree 100%. But for me being a heavier, paddler and less experienced but intently watching, practicing and learning, the boat is dry!..I ran thru Cucumber successfully taking the main line twice and ran it confidently in this canoe, and yes I took in water but the boat is stable w water in it as a big plus as you all know. I have no intention of installing an elec pump in this composite boat, I'm experimenting w diff. shaped had bailers, as I run 54" ag, harmony nylon in the bow and 48" in the rear, 1 could jam in 60 and 54, but I prefer lil rm for pro throw rope, acccess to a take down spare paddle under the bow bag and xs dry bag w ems med kit, energy snacketc. I weighed my shacho w my ww gear water ready and I have the hvy layup, meaning 1 extra layer on bottom along sides to WL and it weighs 36-38 ased on warm or cold weather xtras in the dry ag...as I do not have a dry suit YET:)....I find I ferry 2-3 times fater across river in this boat over my X. Ir rides higer in the bow as it should and surfs well although i'm just mastering that. It can catch the tightest of eddys. I was attempting to catch eddies coming immediately out of 2+ rapids and hit many ut I admit I pooped out day 2 on the ottom 1/3 of the lower, and mistakes made, sent me swimming 4-5 times just cause I was tired and could not execute my strokes well. For the novice to intermediate the boat gives you confidence, the initial staility is better than what I had expected and the secondary staility is great. Don't let the blunt ends fool you, this oat has hull speed for an OC-1,...and little effort is needed to get it to respond. This oat is a s good as you are and I mean that. Dale riggs in my view is a very accomplished finesse WW paddler, I watched him intently on the LY run and practice day , he was giving me pointers, and showing me lines as I've paddled the lower but 6 times or so. This boat surfs , side surfs with staility ease, and warp speed. Truly a fun boat to paddle. And for me I'm tweaking my outfitting as soon as I have a day where my wife is out of the hse for 10 hrs or so, cause its coing into the kitchen so I can drop the rear thigh attachment points, attach w sglass the lower attachment strips, add 2" to the pedestal HT, and shave the seat to fit me just perfectly...then come march I'll e full on ready to go again and hope to have saved enough to purchase a drysuit to boot. I know I ran on here but I could not be happier w the OC-1 and it is and will remain my main boat , not a back up, never if I happen to crack it, I'll fix it,...bottom line Millrook composites are designed to be paddled and stay wet as much as possilbe ! :) my outfitting is the 7" pedestal, esquif dble thigh straps and I'm adding my own design ankle locks, NO yakima footbraces for me. I'm dropping the lower attachment point of the upper thigh strap, in order to wrap tighter to upper thigh, stillexit ut snugger fit for me...so I can hopefully get a roll down,...I've yet to be able roll, next year, I hope.... PS Kaz will e building me a Patriot solo day and o/nite tripping boat this winter as well. I'm just freaking loving his composite canoes! :)...and yes in white with balck accents, thats how I roll :)...enjoy. If anyone wants to see pics of me in my shach 1st 2 days in the canoe ever, Dale riggs and Christine Travers posted many on my FB page, ok to F me if you are a serious WW paddler...I'm easy!.....enjoy... :D ..Bryan Taylor
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Bryan, that is a great review!! Thank you an good for you! I think it will be my next boat!
Cheers
BAD paddle
C Boater

Post by BAD paddle »

I posted in this thread above, asking about the Shacho before ordering.

Mine came in the freight last monday. With work and two Thanksgiving dinners, having to build the seat, getting it rigged etc., there was no paddling it until this morning. It was a sunny 47 degrees and the nearest water was in the salt water in a small harbor in Port Townsend WA.

Long story short, I got a great workout, six rolls and pretty much fell in love with the boat. Without commenting yet on the feel in a rapid, on flat water it accelerated quickly, spun, carved, leaned and rolled predictably (more easily and with less water in the hull afterward than the Outrage) and was generally a blast.

I'll post later when I get to some moving water--probably a week or two, but so far, everything fits with what has already been posted. Cheers, Pat