Musings on why I still C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Musings on why I still C1

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I had the opportunity to paddle one of my favorite rivers last weekend at the level that makes it a fun run. The New Boston section of the Farmington River from the race course down to what is called the bears den or bear paw is almost continuous white water for aboat 5 miles. At the level I paddled it, 600 cfs +/- it is a very fluid run with some shallow sections that make glasss boats less desireable. There are many holes and ledge drops to negotiate and I don't mean avoid. What I enjoy in my Atom C1 is to dive under the surface briefly thru all these features, with the forces trying to tug me back, and the challenge of staying upright while struggling to move on. I don't think I could ever be a mystery boater, but diving chest deep into a foam pile is exciting. So this I think is the reason why I haven't been looking to go back to open boating. I was paddling with some pretty talented open boaters who were making the run just as challenging and rewarding, including one amazing surf at cork screw that would make a great video.
So, I'd like to hear from the other C1'ers about why they aren't jumping back into the latest OC offerings. I am very tempted to do so after demoing one of Millbrooks latest creations, but I just dont' feel ready to. When I do I won't be going back because C1ing requires weekly maintenance of the skills and conditioning to be enjoyable for someone my age.
[/size]
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: Musings on why I still C1

Post by yarnellboat »

C1ing requires regular maintenance of skliis and conditioning, especially for big, old people?? :o

Wow, did I ever try getting into C-1 at the wrong time then!! No wonder it hasn't worked out for me so far. Thanks for that, now I feel kinda better, but actually kinda worse.

Pat.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

C1ing demands quicker reactions and greater flexibility whereas open canoe requires greater strength. I don’t find either one more comfortable than the other, but I use a similar pedestal height in both.

I’m the opposite of you in that I like the feel of riding the waves in an open canoe versus having my body hit by the water. How a canoe bounces is a big part of the fun of not having a deck.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote: . . . especially for big, old people?? :o
. . . or small, old people!

When I want to feel safe, I relax in an OC-1. When I'm feeling adventuresome or playful, I venture out into a C-1,

For many years, I paddled only one boat -- trip after trip after tr. . . Forcing myself to switch often has had a hugely positive affect on the confidence.

Methinks it's learning to rely on the paddle, rather than the hull, that makes a better C-boatr. :wink:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

After many years of picking dry lines in an OC1, I now like it wet in a C1.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Guys, I think the "size" bit at the end of Jim's post was an unintentional arftifact of picking the font size. It's a closing tag without an opening tag, not a commentary on his dimensions!

I find myself going back and forth between C-1 and OC-1. My first 5 years were exclusively OC-1, then about 5 years exclusively C-1. Then I went OC-1 for 2-3. Now I'm alternating pretty regularly. I love the "hop in / hop out" nature of the open boat. I don't like swamping... One of my lighter boats is an OC-1 (Zephyr) and it's a lot easier to haul up the trail than my go-to C-1 (Remix).

But... I really like that "not swamping" thing about the C-1. I can be just as comfortable, though sometimes in winter layers its harder to stay that way in longer sessions. Nothing beats surfing in my play boat (Score), but I'd prefer the small OC-1 in steepl places where hopping in and out are key. But squirting and cartwheeling are a hoot. And that slalom boat (Maverick) is fast...

CHoices, choices... Good thing I don't have to go with just one...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Been dabbling in both too. And C2. Their all fun and swapping out keeps me honest on my skills and pushes me to get more fun in.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I know this is unthinkable for some, but I am switching between an open canoe and a kayak these days. There are runs I did in a C-1 in the past that I’ll only do in a kayak in the future.

The work involved in open boating isn’t just in the carrying and dumping, just maneuvering the boat that’s more strength. I also feel like I extend my reach much more in the open boat which also probably leads to more sore muscles. Maybe I shouldn't have written C-1ing takes more flexibility.

I have to make a point of remembering to bring the skirt when planning to kayak after open canoeing.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

Cadster, I'm glad to hear of someone else who "goes both ways." I kayaked for years and recently started paddling OC-1. I love 'em both--very different ways to enjoy the river; different sorts of challenges. I'm surprised that so few people cross-over paddle this way.

I'm learning to canoe in an Ion, and offside ferrying is a huge challenge. Sometimes I take my kayak if there are a lot of moves that I don't think I can make in the canoe. That little boat is really fun, but it demands constant effort, which oddly has made me a better kayaker. After I've been in the Ion for a while, I notice I use my torso and upper body much more effectively in the kayak.

Also, I'm so new that my paddling partners have to be very willing for me to swim, otherwise I don't impose my OC-1 self on them.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Pierre, I like that comment about relying on the paddle more than the hull. I think that is the essence of what canoeing is. It's holding on to the tree and moving the hull around it. You can get a C1 to engage currents that the open boat rides over, and there are some interesting things that can come out of that, both good and bad. But aren't we all there to explore the current? I just envy mystery boaters for what they have the courage to explore.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

What is a mystery boater?
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i think this is a mystery boater? i was watching a paddler on the west river vt. do this very move 1/4 mile above the dumplings. http://youtu.be/bGsNMZP1kLw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or this! :o http://youtu.be/o-lyiI7tmDA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Didn't know there was mystery potential in the center chute, I kind of know that spot and thought it was a bit shallow. I would have thought that Virginia chute would be better. I've done some nice pirouettes in the viper there.
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

lung wrote:What is a mystery boater?
Here's our own "Mystery Boater", Sir Adam exploring the realm. He's in his Mentor C-1 on the Cheat.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

cadster wrote:C1ing demands quicker reactions and greater flexibility whereas open canoe requires greater strength
OC1 is more physically demanding in terms of strength, right...but qicker reactions? I have experienced quite the opposite. When the boat goes off the line, I find the C1 way easier to recorrect than the OC1, and I already have one of the most agile boats one can find (Esquif Prelude) Therefore I have to plan my line more in advance and more precisely than if I were in my C1, and I have to react sooner and quicker if something starts to go the wrong way
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle