paddle shaft protective tube replacement

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jakke
CBoats Addict

paddle shaft protective tube replacement

Post by jakke »

The protective shrink tube around the shaft of my paddle is worn out, giving me blisters while paddling.
Any tips by what I can replace that protective tube? No electrical tape, that's too slippery. And a new tube would probably be very hard to get.

Thanks
bushpaddler
C Guru

Re: paddle shaft protective tube replacement

Post by bushpaddler »

Which Paddle, which gunnels?
As long as it's Carbon or Glass on wood or vinyl you don't need to worry about the wear. Usually blades wear faster than paddle shafts... 8)
If it's aluminum things change.

Flo
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Flo, paddle is a profiplast air, by far my favorite.

Carbon shaft, gas injected plastic blade (light and strong!). blade performance is not like a carbon or glass blade, but comes close and is much more durable. Paddle is not made anymore, unfortunately, as far as I know.

Gunnels, don't know, my viper, my former prelude or the ocoee, I borrowed it to someone for a test paddle.
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

Removing the grip will allow you to place a dynel sleeve/west systems epoxy where needed. Removing grips isn't all that difficult. Heat and twist usually does the trick.
"I'm with you fellers"
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

There are some tapes that work fairly well, but I've brushed on a half-dozen coats of this tool dip with good results. It's easy to "freshen up" after it wears too. Before you apply it, clean and very lightly sand the shaft.
Bob P
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

The shrink-down vinyl sleeves I ordered on my Mitchell and Clinch River paddles, to protect the carbon shafts, are very old but nowhere near wearing out.

If I had to replace them, I would order new sleeve from Mitchell (assuming they would sell it) and remove the grip. Then, careful use of a heat gun would shrink it.

Except if one is racing and every ounce counts, I think the sleeves are important protection for carbon shaft paddles. A nick you don't notice, or local wear through strands, can result in sudden breaking. What gunwale material you use is probably not relevant.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I have experienced the same issue with paddle shafts in the past. I contacted the paddle maker and got a new shrink sleeve.

Profiplast may or may not make still make the Air paddle but is Profiplast not still around?

Try contacting them and asking for a vinyl sleeve.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;