Dagger Impulse Airbags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ben4060

Dagger Impulse Airbags

Post by ben4060 »

Kayaked for about 4 years, but always wanted to open boat. Finally bought an open boat to start out in. I got a Dagger impulse, but I need airbags.

I'm not completely sure what size bags i need. I don't know if 54" bags would be too much? The gaia website doesn't have exact measurements just small medium and large. Any advice?
rivercowboy
C Boater

Re: Dagger Impulse Airbags

Post by rivercowboy »

Welcome to the Open Boat world. Air bag sizes differ with the paddler. I like big one's for more displacement. 54" bags will work fine unless you don't like all the Open in the boat, then I'd suggest putting one about 72" in the front and let it lay on your knees.
Check http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they have good prices on bags.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Where are you located? I have some 60" bags that have been used once and I am trying to get rid of. I am in Ontario.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'm a sissy, so I use 30" bags in a 15' banana boat. But in about 15 years I've never needed more. 8)
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

If you are buying bags new I would get a pair of 60" bags for an Impulse. Of course, you can go with 54" bags but the Impulse will hold 60" bags easily.

Yes, you can get a 72" bag in the front of an Impulse, but 72" bags tend to be rather heavy and unless you are rolling the boat (Impulses are not that easy to roll) it isn't necessary to have an absolute maximal amount of flotation in the boat.