drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches - Stohlquist warranty

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches - Stohlquist warranty

Post by yarnellboat »

Anyone have any experience with home repair kits for drysuit fabrics, like patches or tapes?

Although Stohlquist's customer service has been great, I'm sick of the hassle of paking it up and sending away for factory repair, so am considering alternatives.

I've got some spots of micro-cracked fabric, one palm-sized and one quater-sized, and, for whatever reason, I don't really want to just smear on Aquaseal. Any advice?

Thanks, Pat.

p.s. It's a breathable suit, purchased in 2007, well cared for and lightly used, very lightly used the past few years, got some pinhole leaks in 2009 and sent for factory repair, and has been for repair each year since, without much durability obviously. The customer sevice for the repairs has been good, but the suit just doesn't seem to be holding it's own.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: drysuit repair

Post by canotrouge »

just my 2 cents here, sale it an buy a kokatat GTX drysuit!!
Up here I use mine every paddling day and after 2 seasons, it is still dry as bone!!
cheers
David
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm loyal, stubborn and cheap, but yeah, I've thought about that - basically, I paddle so infrequently now, and at the same time have more things costing me money, that I just can't justify a new drysuit.

Even if I were to get a new suit, I'd still want to patch this one, so looking for success stories beyond Aquaseal.

Pat.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Get some Auqa Seal with Cotol cotol to clean and make aqua seal dry
get a highligter to mark holes
go into a dark room with a flash light run the flash light along the material you will see white like like stars for pin holes these are the holes mark the hole and look for the next hole works good. I pick up dry suit last year and I found a lot of those holes I think they are stitch holes that pulled
little disappointing it did not last that long but I fixed the holes and dry again
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm good with the Aquaseal to fix the small holes. Thanks for the flashlight idea though! I've never done it that way, and it sounds a lot more simple than dealing with air or water.

It's for the larger areas of little "micro-rips" that I'm wondering about tape or patches.

I'm looking at some repair tape/patch called "Tear-Aid".

Pat.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

What about the "Tenacious Tape", some people swear by it, it is clear and really tough... I would put a piece inside and outside!!
Maybe some thing to try!!
Good luck
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Or maybe a thin layer of Aquaseal in/on the bad area, then a patch/tape over that?

I think Tear-Aid and Tenacious Tape are probably similar, but Tear-Aid was more expicit about being waterproof and had awesome reviews.

Pat.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Re: drysuit repair tape

Post by truckeeboater »

I used some tear aid on a few drybags that someone else was going to throw away... 5 years ago. Bone dry ever since. Can't speak to it's effectiveness on breathable fabrics, tho. Good luck!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: drysuit repair tape

Post by yarnellboat »

All the reviews I've seen of Tear-Aid are endorsements just like that, where people are surprised how well it works & lasts and think it's the "real deal" for such repairs, so I think I'll give it a try. P.

p.s. There is a Tear-Aid specifically for vinyl, and a Taer-Aid for all other fabrics. Presumably it would also be great on air bags.
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches

Post by canotrouge »

Here we go, you got your fix!!
Cheers
ANd report back if it worked out good!!
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I have used Tear-Aid on airbags with less than stellar results. It did repair the bag to the point where it would hold air again, but the repair lasted less than a weekend both times I tried it.

Kyle
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Wiggins wrote:I have used Tear-Aid on airbags with less than stellar results. It did repair the bag to the point where it would hold air again, but the repair lasted less than a weekend both times I tried it.

Kyle
Interesting. I've used Tear-Aid with excellent long term results on my Kokotat goretex dry suit. I've done 7 pinholes and 1 scuff that had many holes larger than a pin-head. All have held well including having washed the suit in a washing machine at least 3 times since the repair.

There are 2 types of Tear-Aid called A and B (not creative but not my naming). You need to buy the right type to get good adhesion. I wonder if Wiggins got the wrong type?

I tried Tear Aid after a friend recommended it for his drysuit repair, and I'm now a convert.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

You should be able to ask around and find a local repair person/place. Even in Wpg there is a guy who does scuba diving repair to dry suits. Our whitewater suits are similar.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

h2sk1 wrote:
Wiggins wrote:I have used Tear-Aid on airbags with less than stellar results. It did repair the bag to the point where it would hold air again, but the repair lasted less than a weekend both times I tried it.

Kyle
Interesting. I've used Tear-Aid with excellent long term results on my Kokotat goretex dry suit. I've done 7 pinholes and 1 scuff that had many holes larger than a pin-head. All have held well including having washed the suit in a washing machine at least 3 times since the repair.

There are 2 types of Tear-Aid called A and B (not creative but not my naming). You need to buy the right type to get good adhesion. I wonder if Wiggins got the wrong type?

I tried Tear Aid after a friend recommended it for his drysuit repair, and I'm now a convert.
Do you remember what type of Tear Aid you used on your Kokatat? I have the "B" PVC for raft repairs, more than I need really, and would like to chop some up and put in the canoe and kayak kits. Thanks.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

watermonkey wrote:
h2sk1 wrote:

Kyle

Do you remember what type of Tear Aid you used on your Kokatat? I have the "B" PVC for raft repairs, more than I need really, and would like to chop some up and put in the canoe and kayak kits. Thanks.
I checked, and I use type A. Type B will not work on the interior fabric of your dry suit.