Gflex for outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

C1NCR
C Boater

Gflex for outfitting

Post by C1NCR »

I have a Jeffe Grande I am converting to a C1. Can I use Gflex to secure the bulkhead or should I use another adhesive. I want to make it as secure as possible.
hankrankin
C Guru

Re: Gflex for outfitting

Post by hankrankin »

I secure all my bulkheads into conversions by wedging the bulkhead in there. That way you can take the bulkhead out and put gear in front of the bulkhead. if you shape the foam properly then it should be plenty secure without gluing. if you are gonna glue it, DAP WELDWOOD! contact cement, comes in a red can :D and in fact whats gonna hold you in more than the bulkhead, is the quality of the strap system, i find that my bulkhead really just keeps my knees from moving side to side. my most recent c1 doesnt even have a bulkhead, just kneepads that keep my knees from moving side to side. And i think from here on out im not wasting money on foam for bulkheads, just good straps and good kneepads is all you kneed!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Gflex for outfitting

Post by ezwater »

Using G-flex to glue in the perimeter of a bulkhead would mean that you'd have to mark and flame the entire area where the G-flex would contact the plastic hull. You'd need the larger, $55 dollar, 16oz size G-flex. It's possible that shear forces would tear the minicell loose, right next to the G-flex boundary. There are other adhesives, but the good ones aren't cheap and the cheap ones aren't good.

I'm kind of with HankRankin on this one. I wouldn't use a bulkhead, just knee blocks against the front wall and the usual thigh straps. Though there is that issue of how the forward, lower thigh strap attachments are done.

If you do a bulkhead, careful measurement and wedging are a good idea. Instead of glueing it in, one approach might be to wedge it, and then glue or attach brackets to the hull, on the cockpit side of the bulkhead, to keep it pushed in its wedged position. Brackets below the waterline can be attached with G-flex, and those on the high side, under the deck, can be riveted or machine screwed in place.

I don't know how the front wall in a Jefe is set up. If you have a bulkhead that wedges "good", you might also use a pulling arrangement to hold it in wedged position. The pull ties would go through slip holes in the front wall, and you could have access to them by running the ties back through the bulkhead. That way you could keep vintage wine up there and get at it for lunch.