Broken Foot

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

Broken Foot

Post by Dave.E »

I have a walking cast and not being able to paddle sucks. Anyone done it? :)

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OC One Blade
C Guru

Re: Broken Foot

Post by OC One Blade »

Not a broken foot, but a shoulder injury put me on the sidelines for over 6 months a couple of years ago. It was basically a year before I could really paddle hard. Rehab was NOT FUN!

Best of luck. I hope you're better soon. Anything that causes lost paddling time sucks!
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

I'm sorry this happened! i broke my foot last season. i broke the second and third metatarsal. my doctor told me the outside metatarsals would act as splints, so all i did was wrap it and walk on crutches. i wasn't supposed to do anything on it for at least 6-8 weeks. i think i got into my boat within 2-3 weeks :o and was paddling class 4 within a month. it hurt like $h!t for quite awhile! i was very lucky to not re-break it as it was still very broken and fragile while i was paddling. It is now completely healed and very strong with no complications! I am not condoning ignoring your doctors orders, just simply relaying my experience 8)

disclaimer: nothing can substitute good judgement and a doctors recommendations. Ignoring pain and injuries is irresponsible and ignorant. DONT DO IT unless you feel your mental state is suffering due to lack of eddy turns and peel outs
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I broke my third metatarsal last year. I decided not to really treat it at all, I walked and boated with it and aside from hurting a lot, it was not a problem as long as I didn't try to use foot pegs. I didn't wrap it or use crutches. Paddling a shredder was nasty painful the one time that I did it (ran the LG).

This is not necessarily good advice, it's just what I did. Everything healed just fine and there was mostly no pain after 5-6 weeks.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Your doctor's priorities are all wrong. Instead of the walking cast, he should have used the special "En Pointe" configuration. Not only better for boating, but would give you a future in ballet! :lol:
Bob P
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

While the long term consequences of a funky foot might not be too serious for paddling, if you like doing other things with your feet (ie sports that involve running) you might want to consider following doctor's advice and letting it heal properly.

Besides, there are worse times of the year to miss a bit of paddling in Ontario ;)
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

djutzi wrote:Besides, there are worse times of the year to miss a bit of paddling in Ontario
Except watch this be the year with a winter of consistant good flows on the Irvine!

Sorry about your luck Dave. Hope it heals up right!
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Not boating related, about 15 years or so ago I put a major crack in the talus bone in my ankle, now I can't even remember which one it was, so it healed nicely.

Not boating related, about 5 months ago I broke my wrist (broke the end off the radius bone), with some pretty severe spraining of the connective tissue. That has healed very slowly, and that arm is still stiff and too weak to paddle. I don't doubt I will always have some amount of trouble with it.

Hey, none of my injuries are related to boating, so maybe that's what I should stick to. :-)
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I broke my collarbone while paddling a year ago. Off the water for 3 months, off the river for 6. And next month the Titanium has to go, and the holes from the screws have to heal again. Another 3 months before hitting the river again.

At the end (hope I still think that way after the next operation), I see quite a few positive side effects out of it. I had to exercise a lot, to get the shoulder strong and stable again. So I learned a lot about cross-training and functional training while getting back in my canoe. I discovered plenty of ways to progress my paddling, without being in canoe. And I must say, I actually paddle better after the first operation - and the training, then before!
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

DougB wrote: Except watch this be the year with a winter of consistant good flows on the Irvine!
Exactly! And the Irvine is fantastic.

Saw the doctor this morning. I'm officially off crutches and allowed to walk wearing a stiff soled shoe. Sounds just like a paddling boot to me.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I broke my ankle missing Alf 2011. put me out for all early spring creeking. doc cleared me of cast and pointed at my hightop hiking shoes and said they'd be fine, i turned them into my river shoes and played beer barge in my shredder for a month. craming into tight outfitting for extended time isnt good for healing.
Proud Yankee