Please don't flame...paddle shortening question....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FreeThinker
c

Please don't flame...paddle shortening question....

Post by FreeThinker »

I have an older Werner Bandit (blue shaft/white blade) that I bought to use as a raft paddle and never did. Since, I have become fascinated with learning to OC1. Currently it is a 56" and I think I need a 52" as an OC1 stick. I have used "search" and think I am almost ready to tackle shortening this stick but am hung up with how to remove the metal (looks to be hollow with no screw head or anything) tube that goes through the paddle shaft and T-grip. Any input or link to the information I am looking for would be much appreciated.
bkebs
Pain Boater

Re: Please don't flame...paddle shortening question....

Post by bkebs »

oc1? I am short, 5-6 and use a 56 or 58 incher. You may want to think twice...
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

bkebs wrote:You may want to think twice...
What bkebs said.

The height of the seat, and the width of the boat, may make a difference. OC-1s are usually wider than decked C-1s, and often have higher seats. A longer stick is useful. A shorter stick may work better in a narrower C-1, with a shorter seat.

I'm 5' 7", and use a 57" paddle in an OC-1 with an 8" seat. For a C-1, with a 6" seat, I use a 54" stick.

Suggestion: pick up (or make -- broom handle & plywood) a cheapo paddle in your proposed 52" length. Try it in your boat. THEN you can make decisions about chopping your Bandit.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Yeah. Definitely try using that paddle before you shorten it. Fifty two inches is quite short for a paddle intended for whitewater OC-1. It might be an appropriate length for someone with a short torso in a C-1 with a low pedestal.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Yeah, I think you'd find that paddle length too short.
That's a roll pin you describe and they just are driven out with a punch or you could use an appropriate size old drill bit and hammer it out. The grip still is probably glued so you'll have to deal with that as well. But I'd do as the others suggested and try a cheap paddle cut down that short vs. yours and see if that's really what you want to do. :)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll echo all of the above - you've gotten some great advice here so far:
1) Try out a bunch of other paddles and see what feels "right" for your build. I'm 5'8", 30" inseam (torso length is what really matters, not inseam, but most folks don't know their torso length, and you can get a rough estimate of one from the other with height), I use 54" in C1 though folks that know better (and as time goes on I admit they are right) say 56" would be much better for me. For my "bigger" boats I've gravitated towards 56", and default to that the odd time I'm in an OC1... BUT I'll also admit what I really need is a 58" for OC boating.
2) Drive out the roll pin (a punch set is really handy to have around the house, and won't tend to open up the roll pin as a nail can sometimes)
3) No flaming here, just trying to give you some good advice. The best is #1 - and if a shorter paddler works best for you, go for it!
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Agree with above. At 5'8" I use a 52.5" a lot. Mostly in C1/C2 but some in OC. The shorter lenght is great for playboating but I lose a LOT of power .. particularly in the OC.... which I miss on tougher runs. I have a 56" that I go to when I know I have to be game on in the OC realm!

The question is what size are you, what boat will you be using, and for what type of runs?

PS: Flaming is not allowed on this site... kidding is... but being mean isn't. Keep on asking those questions so we can all learn! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
FreeThinker
c

Post by FreeThinker »

Super kind of you all to help me out. I have a buddy's 53" that I have been using and it has been suggested that maybe a 52" would be better; however, I think, before I chop mine up I will just use it for awhile and see if I settle in to it.

The reason for my title - I am sure you guys get tired of the same old questions from varrious folks who don't use "search" before they post. I just wanted you to know that I did try to find my answer before posting (here and Youtube).

Again, thanks for the tips and I will keep at it!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

nuthin wrong with shortening, but I suggest try it as sized for a while. paddle is a lever basically, and u want it to maximize the energy ur putting into it, especially in a more classically sized (12-16ft) canoe
if u dont have, or dont want to purchase a punch set as suggested above, get a finishing nail of similar size and use the head to drive out the roll pin. no spreading.
peace
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Good point Longboatin' - and light taps should do fine...less chance of the dreaded purple thumb syndrome :lol:
Keep the C!
Adam
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Don't know how to remake a paddle, but definitely try a 52" paddle. Everyone has well meaning advice, but it all comes down to what works for you. My personal experience is that I paddled for about 15 years with a 56" paddle because that is what "everyone" says you need to use. I never could learn to cross stroke though, always either caught the paddle on the gunwales or extended my arms in an awkward position. I'm 5' 2" in height, paddle smaller boats (ocoee, spanish fly, ion, skeeter). About a year ago someone stuck a 52" paddle in my hands. If only that had happened 15 years ago.......For me I have MORE power because I have more control over paddle placement and dang it I am developing a pretty strong crossbow stoke (old habits die hard). In the words of one of my paddling heroes - "Different strokes for different folks." :D
cramersec
C Boater

Post by cramersec »

If you do decide to cut it (and I'm not saying you should), once you get the pin out you can remove the grip from the shaft by heating the shaft with a heat gun. You need to heat from the end of the shaft to about 4" down, and then gently pull the grip out. Wait for it to come easily. If you pull too hard too soon you'll just be stretching the plastic.

As far as length, there has been some good advice already. Another rough estimate is obtained by sitting on a hard chair with the grip between your legs. Touch your nose to the shaft: that's the shaft length (+/- an inch or so) you need. The size of the blade doesn't enter into the calculations, which is why 52" vs 58" is really meaningless, as is any measurement taken standing up.

Steve
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

+1 to what Kimmie and Steve said. I went shorter a number of years ago haven't looked back (well, not often). I think it is easier on the shoulders.