Africa Armada

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

funkidreadz
C Guru

Africa Armada

Post by funkidreadz »

Hey Cboats,

Here is an idea that I have had bouncing around in my head for a while and it has now formed itself into a kinda plan...

I have been thinking about about a trip to the Zambezi for a while, to the best of my knowledge nobody has been open boating on the Zam and I think it would be blast. Even better than just going on my own would be to share the experience with as many open boaters as possible, kinda like a mass first (OC1) descent.

My plan is to spend 10days-2weeks middle to end of November 2013 on the Zam, I haven't really thought too much about logistics so far, just wanted to test the water to see if others are keen.

There is good info on the river, getting there, staying there etc. here http://thezambezi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I kinda hope/think that because it is a popular destination with kayakers that it should be not too much bother to get canoes on the 'plane, the new school white water boats are not too much bigger than kayaks anyway.

Let me know what you think guys and girls,

James
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Africa Armada

Post by Sir Adam »

I think it's been run in an OC, but I'm trying to recall why I think that, and by whom.

Looks like a great trip!
Keep the C!
Adam
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

Hey Adam,
Really I don't know anybody who has been with a canoe, loads of C1s, but no open boats. Even so if you know of somebody it would be awesome to speak with them and find out what they learnt and pick up any tips
So far we are on 3 canoeists who have committed, maybe more brave warriors will step up in time

James
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

That is an awesome idea funkid! I'm trying to recall who from this site has boated the White Nile. So far, Liskahon and Krikketwars comes to mind. Cannot think of others but I'll look around and see if any open boaters have been. But that doesn't really matter for this boating venture now, does it? :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I rafted on the Zambezi in 1997, was a total blast- first time rafting on BIG water. I would love to visit that region again as things have changed over there. I was in the region for 4 months would love to take my kids. My son Pelly would be totally up for it. Funds and time may be a problem.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

won't have the time....won't have the money.......what is an even bigger issue, don't have the skills (yet)

though this idea sounds downright awesome!!!!!!!

I'll be dam jealous of everyone going on the trip!
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

I am in, I was planning on going to Africa to boat this next winter. I am a c1 paddler, but would totally get in a oc-1 if someone gave me one.

I am heading to Ecuador tomorrow night for 6 weeks!

Keep in touch bro, I would love to boat in Africa with a fellow c-boater

Cheers,
John
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

Sweet that a few people are excited about this idea! I think I will let this run until New Year a then start to make a real plan with dates and flights.
James