Pyranha Everest

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Albertaboat
c

Pyranha Everest

Post by Albertaboat »

I'm looking at an everest and have looked at the reveiws and it looks great, just wondering if I would be too light for it at around 180 lbs (and 5'11") or is there another reason not to try it? Appreciate feedback, sorry for repeating a topic, but couldn't definitively determine about weight.

Thanks
Paddler
Pain Boater

Re: Pyranha Everest

Post by Paddler »

Ok so I'm a kayaker that does a little open boating so I can't speak directly to how the everest performs as a C-1, but I can speak to the everest as a 180 lbs. paddler.

So the everest rocks if your looking for a boat that A) tracks, B) is fast, C) you can drive towards a feature and cruise off of it. As a C-1 I think it would do really well. If you want a boat that will turn on a dime get a shiva or stomper, but those boats don't quite hold a line like the everst or 2012 Mamba.

As far as weight goes, I think You'll be good, those weight ranges are guesswork anyway, if you fit in the boat you'll be good.
The line will become apparent
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Albertaboat,

I would have commented earlier, but wasn't sure that I could give you a very complete set of thoughts about the Everest.

I converted an Everest this past summer, but have not had much boat time in it, so take this as coming from a person with limited experience. Other than flat water to work out the outfitting kinks, I've had it on two class two runs and one class three run. As a reference, my main boat is a Spanish Fly, but in the past I had a fair amount of experience in a Finkenmeister C1. I'm 185 lbs and the Everest floats me great. So, as far as weight goes, you are fine. As Paddler said, the Everest holds a line very well. It does not spin as quickly as the Fly or the Finkenmeister, but as a river runner or creeker I don't see that as a negative. Although the Everest has hard chines, I don't think that they are much of an issue when it comes to tripping you up, but are nice when you are carving in and out of eddies, or holding an angle when ferrying. I really enjoy holding an angle while ferrying across a strong incoming current. The Fly does this a little better than the Everest, but there isn't too much difference - they both plane across the surface nicely. The Fink was hard for me to hold a line, I just never felt sufficiently stable in that boat. The Everest has very good primary and secondary stability. It is not quite as good as the Fly, but very good - realize that the Fly is a couple of inches wider than the Everest. Also, the Everest is really fun on small waves (can't tell you how it is on larger waves, since I haven't had a chance). I find the Everest is much better at attainments and was able to catch waves on the fly much easier than the SFly. My seats are necessarily very high due to bad knees. The Fly is set a 9.5 inches, while the Everest is at 8.5 inches. I do lose a bit of stabilty at that height, but what are you going to do. Still, the Everest works for me very well at that height. If you can keep your saddle down to 8 inches or less, you should be pleased with the boat. As for the speed of the boat, it gets up to speed quickly, but I wouldn't consider it a speedster. Pushing a boat as fast as I can the Everest is about as fast as the Fink and slightly faster than the Fly. If you push the boats at about 80% of full on the Everest cruises really well and is faster than the other two boats, especially the Fly. Personally, I think we make too much of speed when it comes to boat selection. If you race/slalom an OC1 or C1, then fast is important, but for us regular folk I don't think it matter that much. Of course, we are talking about boats in the same length class (e.g., 9 feet), not spud boats or one of kaz's 13 foot speedsters. I hope this helps.

Marc
Albertaboat
c

Post by Albertaboat »

Thanks those replies really help, I think i'll try and buy the everest, theres someone selling a used one for a reasonable price. It was reassuring that some of the questions i didn't even ask got answered. Another question, did you buy a skirt with the tunnel adjusted for a C1 for the boat or did a kayak skirt work just fine?

Thanks
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Not to be a post hijacker, but I am kind of curious if my size 13 feet are going to fit under the back cockpit if I buy an Everest.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Albertaboater,

I had Snapdragon do a custom job. They moved the tunnel 2 or 3 inches forward (can't remember the exact amount) and they put on a longer C1 tunnel. Cost me about $125 for their EXP model. That is about the same as a regular EXP kayak skirt. You can also have them do custom skirts from a drawn outline of the cockpit (see there website). A custom skirt will cost you an extra $10. I've ordered skirts both ways and they have been very good to work with. I've order the skirts through NRS and picked them up at NRS two weeks later. You need to go through a dealer to do the ordering, but need to contact Snapdragon by email or phone. NRS is 8 miles away, so I just go there.

johnd,

I'm 6'4", 185 and have size 12 feet, but wear size 13 booties - I like the extra room for thicker socks in the winter. You don't need to worry about pulling your size 13 feet straight out. The problem is if you don't pull you feet straight out, but allow your body (and feet) to twist. You don't have enough side-to-side room to pull out that way. The Everest has a maximum width of 26.5 inches. Of course, I can't do that in my Spanish Fly either, though I do have more side-to-side room (28 inches) and so some twisting of the feet is allowed. I've tapered my saddle, thinning it toward the base so that I have a little more room. There seem to be some new kayaks on the market that are wider (Jackson Large Karma is 28 inches wide) and might provide you with more foot room.

Marc