Hog's Back Falls anyone?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

Hog's Back Falls anyone?

Post by leclercraven »

I was just wondering if anybody was planning to do the Hog's Back Falls this year? I'm asking because first of all I would like to see that in person, and second, I work for CBC Television and it would be possible for me to get a reporter and camera crew there for the event. It'd be fun to show what can be done in a canoe, most people think that jumping off falls can only be done in a kayak. I think that more exposure could benefit the sport too.

Anyways, please let me know. If you are doing Hog's Back but don't want to appear on TV, that's ok too. I'd just like to watch you jump.

Cheers.
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Re: Hog's Back Falls anyone?

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

It'll be a mighty cold week for it- high of -9 on Friday! I've run hogs back, and I love it, however I'm always a bit cautious about the media coverage. I think it's great to highlight the sport, but on the flip side it draws attention to the fact that, well, we're running waterfalls and people think that's crazy. I'm on the water rescue team on Ottawa Fire and we get calls all the time generated by busybodies with cell phones who think a kayaker or canoeist is in grave danger. It's only a matter of time before someone in city council proposes something that will make it harder to do what we do. Perhaps it's better to remain fringe and free rather than famous and restricted? I don't know- just thinking out loud. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Besides, whenever the news media shows up, all they ever want to show is someone doing an eskimo roll. What is up with that?
leclercraven
C Guru

Re: Hog's Back Falls anyone?

Post by leclercraven »

thomsonbytheriver wrote:I think it's great to highlight the sport, but on the flip side it draws attention to the fact that, well, we're running waterfalls and people think that's crazy.
You might be right about that. It was just a thought. I'd still be interested to watch if anybody is running the falls in the upcoming weeks. I just bought a Taureau and hope to eventually run the falls myself one day.