Dagger/bell ocoee

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mike herrmann

Dagger/bell ocoee

Post by mike herrmann »

I have a bare, unused Dagger Ocoee hull that I am trimming out. I need the dimensions for the thwarts; Specifically, how long and how far from the bow and stern. I'm assuming that the hull is symmetrical. Any suggestions relative to saddle placement would also be welcome.
Thanks,
Mike
woodsy
c

Re: Dagger/bell ocoee

Post by woodsy »

Dude, where did you find a virgin Dagger? I assume you are looking for stock dimensions. I could give you mine but they've been tweeked.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have a Dagger Ocoee which I believe to be stock. It certainly doesn't look as if it has been modified in any way, but I am not the original owner. It is a symmetrical hull.

Dagger listed a maximum beam of 29" but I don't know if that is at the molded hull or outside of gunwale to outside of gunwale. I can take some measurements, but my boat is in a storage locker a short drive away so tell me exactly what measurements you need. I can measure the position of the thwarts (distance from the stems) and the length (width) of the thwarts as well as the beam amidships from outside of gunwale to outside of gunwale. Is there anything else you need?

What type of saddle do you want to mount in it and how do you want it trimmed? If you want the boat neutrally trimmed, what I would do is after you mount the thwarts, balance the boat on something like a 2 x 6" piece of lumber placed crosswise under the boat amidships. Put your loose saddle in the boat and carefully get in it without moving the boat on the 2 x 6". Position the saddle so that the boat balances when you are kneeling in it with your torso upright. If you lean back a bit, the bow should lift and if you lean forward a bit the nose will drop.

If you don't want to do that put the boat on a flat surface and the loose saddle in it. Mark the center point of the boat on both gunwales. Kneel on your loose saddle and move it so that the bone you feel that is at the side of your hip joint is 4 1/2" behind center. Your belt buckle will be right about on center or maybe an inch or so in front of it (depending on belly size).

You can also put the boat on a flat surface and put some tapes on the side of the hull near the stems. Mark on the tape with a Sharpie a 3" and 4" waterline mark horizontally by measuring up from the ground with a short stick of appropriate length. Put the boat in the water and get in it on the loose saddle. Have an observer judge the trim by the marks on the tape as you position the saddle then mark the position with a pencil or Sharpie.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

I know of some one in my neighbor hood that have a brand new unoutfited Dagger Ocoee... That she won't sale and or outfit and paddle :roll: :evil:
And they also own a like new Dagger Caption... I don't understand???
Ho well.
Good luck with yours
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

If I get a chance this afternoon I'll head up to the storage to grab some numbers for you, I believe my Daggers running stock measurements and is still straight :wink: