k/c 1 remeber that dude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nam
C Guru

k/c 1 remeber that dude

Post by nam »

Does anyone remember that dude that paddled c1 with a kayak paddle? I Was practicing rolling with a kayak paddle in a c1 and wondered how did he rolled so fast?

thanks
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: k/c 1 remeber that dude

Post by Mikey B »

Tyler Brandt?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Where did you see that? I can think of several c-1 slalom racers who have done that. I recall hearing that Bob Robison did a slalom race in his c-1 using a kyack paddle.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Was it called X1?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

You're probably thinking of Luke Hopkins. Luke won k-1 freestyle team trials one year paddling 'x-1'. And also won the world championships in c-1.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

The one I recall was in a slalom race. It was either Bob Robison or Billy Hearn. You know, "That" crowd. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Luke Hopkins...That's who I was thinking of!
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

KNeal wrote:The one I recall was in a slalom race. It was either Bob Robison or Billy Hearn. You know, "That" crowd. 8)
KNeal: I believe you're thinking of Ron Lugbill, Jon's older brother and a gold medalist in C-1 Team in 1981. Ron competed as a K-1 in the early 80s at a few slalom races while kneeling (as in a C-1) and using a kayak paddle. I know that one of the races was an Ocoee Doubleheader Slalom in either 1983 or 1984 as my wife and I competed in C-2M at the same event. He was testing the potential for using in kayak the greater power available from a kneeling position during a period when ICF regulations didn't prohibit racing K-1 in a kneeling position. It was my understanding that Ron had recently been forced to stop training slalom regularly due to the onset of a case of exercise induced asthma. Although he was still in good shape and had World-class skills in C-1, he knew that he could no longer remain competitive in the sport without the ability to train regularly, so this experiment was a way for him to continue to contribute to WW slalom by applying his C-1 skills to testing paddling K-1 from a kneeling position. I believe that the ICF subsequently passed a rules clarification that prohibited paddling K-1 from a kneeling position, so the effort was very short-lived.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

That sounds right, John.
John Coraor wrote:I believe that the ICF subsequently passed a rules clarification that prohibited paddling K-1 from a kneeling position, so the effort was very short-lived.
Well, of course a rule would have to be introduced to prevent an advantage from occurring. It is so much better that paddlers get "pigeon-holed" for racing purposes. :evil:
C-boats Moderator

icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Yep, John is right: it was Ron Lugbill. The experiment was referred to as the "Kneeliac"; given the K-1 hull design I think it was plenty unstable, and quick flips generally tend to produce quick rolls. Actually Ron was a promising K-1 before Jon got into paddling and thus led them to paddle C-2 and thence (seeing the light) into C-1. So the "Kneeliac" was a natural experiment for him to try.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

yeah it was Luke Hopkins I was thinking of. but i did not know there were others. thanks for the info

nam