2010 L'Edge Debate.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: 2010 L'Edge Debate.

Post by the great gonzo »

Not to treadjack here, but but another great plastic OC1 to look at is the Big Dog Force. I have paddled all of the above mentioned plastic open boats, with the exception of the Octane solo, and have developed a strong preference for the Force.
Not sure about current availability in the US, Bob or Chris from Big Dog will know more about that, but pricing is attractive, too.
If anyone wants to test paddle the latest crop of plastic boats, that's easy, just book a trip with Esprit here in Costa Rica, we have at least one of almost everything, L'Edge, Option, Force, Spanish Fly, Ion, Prelude, Taureau, Octane 9-2 tandem.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Esquif has been great to me, no complaints. I cracked a Ledge early on and no problem with a replacement hull. Esquif wanted to get it to my right away but I was happy to wait until a full shipment of boats came north. New products always have kinks to work out and we as consumers need to be understanding or if we choose to not be understanding be willing to pay alot more upfront. Esquif is a tiny company. Maybe selling hundreds of L'edges a year globaly not thousands or millions.

Wonder if there is any relationship between Esquif/Blackfly/Mohawk/Jackson and/or other boat manufactures in comparing production methods, plastics etc. The more boats out there the better it is for everyone regardless of the boat just sold. There is always the next boat/model/material to come along.

Sharing Creative process/brainstorming is a great thing. You only get better by playing with those that are doing things at your level or even better. Just like our paddling- we tend to grow faster when we paddle with those that are at a higher level than we are or having different elements to play with- such as bigger water, creeks etc

2 Thumbs up for Esquif and all the Whitewater boat manufactures out there.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

My 2010 has taken a hades of a beating. I my gear I'm close to 250 pounds and I have boofed off rocks onto rocks. No problems.

Kyle
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I have a 2011 L'edge and absolutely love the boat. I also know a few people who have 2010 models with no complaints. It is extremely durable and the hull is fantastic.

However I was disappointed with Esquif. When I received the boat it was pretty skewed, one side obviously higher than the other (10-15 degree angle between the thwarts and ground). The saddle was also glued in noticeably closer to one side of the boat. I emailed Esquif twice asking if this was considered normal and never got a response. I know that neither of these things affect the performance of the boat, but I am a student and buying a new boat was a huge commitment so I wanted everything to be perfect.

That being said, if I had to buy a new boat, it would be a L'edge,

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
penorman

Post by penorman »

ShoutOut to Esquif and Appomattox: I bought a new L'Edge in April 2011 and cracked it two years later. I went back to Tom at Appomattox and he worked out a very fair resolution with Esquif. (Despite the fact that the boat was a year out of warranty) Pretty great customer service.