2010 L'Edge Debate.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dangerdave
c

2010 L'Edge Debate.

Post by dangerdave »

So I have been hearing a lot about how the L'Edges were having some problems specifically the 2010 model. Does anyone have any input on this? As I'm torn between the Blackfly Option or the Esquif L'Edge.

-Dave
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Re: 2010 L'Edge Debate.

Post by PatrickOC1 »

havent heard anything negative really aside from weight and thats up for discussion as well, what are you refering to im sure someone has an answer for you.....
dangerdave
c

Post by dangerdave »

I've heard some question about the durability of the decked 2010 L'Edges.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

As far as I know there was a problem with a couple of them cracking on stuff that should't crack a boat... A guy that I often paddle with cracked his while catching an eddy on the Ottawa. He says that he didn't notice the crack until the take out. That was the only rock he remembered hitting that day.

Or something like that... I only heard the story once.

I know that Esquif replaced the boat and he has not had any problems since.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I saw one break on Section IV Chattooga on a Class II drop. It was a catastrophic failure, probably 40 inches of crack when you counted all the spires. That was a 2010 model

If you want to get a wide range of answers from a bunch of owners, you could post this question on the GDI facebook page
Chris Loomis
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Cracking has been a problem with the l'edges and it would be a lie to say that it's just the 2010 models or just the decked models. The good news is that they seem to either be good or bad right out of the box. If it's three years old and there aren't any cracks, it's probably a good one.

The GDI is very pro-blackfly. There are LOTS of good boaters who are happy with their L'edges who aren't on that facebook page.

As Dave said, Esquif has been good with replacing bad hulls and I ve heard that they ve been working on whatever the issues were.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

L'edges vary in weight/hull thickness. I would assume that the majority of the cracked boats were the lighter versions. My 2011 (open) model is svelt 63 pounds and solid. It recently self boofed off my roof racks onto the pavement and was just fine.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I think I was the first person to crack a L'Edge, it was taken care of and the subsequent L'Edge has held up to tons of abuse without a hint of a problem. The issue with the L'edge production was taken care of, you get that sometimes when you're producing a new product (from what I'm told). Now, the rest of the issue is sorting through all the comments that are intended on helping another company at the expense of this initial issue with the L'Edge.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Smurf, that's great to hear. We all want Esquif to grandly succeed. No other company offers such a great lineup of canoes for the open boater. From what I've heard they've been good on warranty issues on the L'edge and other canoes. The Esquif boats I own (Blast and Prelude) have been bomber. I salute and appreciate their willingness to innovate with new designs and new materials.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

In my opinion it is a non-issue at this point - were their problems early on? Yes. Might there be problems occasionally now? Perhaps, though I haven't heard of any. What IS important though is Esquif has really stepped up and supported their product. Kudos to them for standing behind their boats and making things right when it's been the right thing to do. I wish that was the norm these days in the world, but it certainly isn't.
Keep the C!
Adam
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

[SIGH]

reposting this here as well...

I'm unaware of any 2011 or newer boats breaking. That being said... not all of the 2010's were what they should have been. As far as which/what boat is better... I feel that's up to the person... not just what someone tells you on Facebook or an internet message board. Test drive the boats on a river you know... that's the best way to make the right decision for yourself.

Esquif is working hard to regain the trust and confidence of their customers because of the breakage matter. Speaking personally it broke my heart every time I heard about one of them breaking... and Esquif felt the same exact way... trust me on this.

I have a lightweight 2010 that I've intentionally beaten the tar out of... it's holding up better than I thought it would. Of course this comment should be disregarded because I'm just a virtual paddler.

Good luck with your personal decision.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

my l'edge has been thoroughly abused on southeast creeks (read slid over wet rocks on a regular basis). it's held up just fine, remarkably well actually. I've hit rocks so hard i half expected it to be cracked and it's still holding up great. the boat has a higher tolerance for abuse than my body does, thats for certain.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

That being said, ask how many Options have cracked? I believe the answer is one, a team boater paddling the hades out it on wet rocks all across the SE. Yes Esquif stands behind their boats. And yes, you can get a boat that is as or more durable for $500 less from Blackfly. The Option is a bit sportier, not quite as dry and about as fast. Paddle both then decide based on your budget/preferences.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm not really in the know about the topic of how many Options have broken, but I've heard of more than one, and saddles falling apart. Does that mean that that boat has issues? Not one bit. Shite happens, people paddle water laden boats off drops when they should be dumping, run stuff that is ELF and seem to purposely hit all the rocks.... no boat is magic, they all will break at some point given enough vigorous attempts at it. The people at Esquif are a class act, BUT...demo demo demo .. its mostly all paddler perception anyway.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I have to respond to the claim that you can purchase a BlackFly Canoe for $500 less than an Esquif Canoe. Please refer to the 2013 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices:

According to the BlackFly website, the Ion, Option and solo Octane are each listed at $1,550.
The tandem Octane is listed at $1,800.

The Prelude and Spanishfly are both listed at $1,615.
The decked L'edge is listed at $1,663.
The open L'edge with wood trim is listed at $1,805.

I have returned as the Esquif rep in the Southeast because I know that they are a good company whose main goal is to produce great canoes. They have been producing new canoe designs every year since 1998; during this same time period, most big companies have made a transition to recreational kayaks.

Esquif currently manufactures 38 models of canoes in 7 different materials. We stand behind all of our products. We regret that we have had canoes crack that should not have. I know firsthand the devastation and inconveniance that occurred when I cracked a canoe over 4000 miles away from home. Esquif has and will continue to warranty defective boats.

Please feel free to contact me (or the rep in your area) if you have questions or concerns.
Cheers,
Eli Helbert
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com