ALF/Pre-ALF Workshops

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

ALF/Pre-ALF Workshops

Post by Eli »

Interested in progressing at ALF, but not interested in hearing folks yell "Stand Up, Get yer S*%@!" while you push yourself to new limits?
The Canoe Guru is offering a limited amount of canoe instruction during ALF, and a special rate for those who choose to be in the area beforehand. Please refer to http://www.thecanoeguru.com/reservation ... rus-rates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
djutzi
C Guru

Re: ALF/Pre-ALF Workshops

Post by djutzi »

I spent a day with Eli at ALF last year - had a great time, learned a lot.

Highly recommended.
madmike
C Guru

Post by madmike »

That is great news. That other $#it is a real turn off.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

"That other $#it is a real turn off."

MAJOR turn-off. I was hoping to get down for part of ALF this year, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

I'm a new-ish OC paddler and a complete outsider to the world of GDI, but I tuned in a while back when I took an interest in attending ALF. The nastiness of some of the discourse over there has been a real bummer. I teach high school, man, I don't need negativity and drama in my paddling life, I see enough if that at work.

I'd love the chance to see and learn from some great c-boaters, but I think I'll skip TN attend the open canoe slalom nationals this year instead.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I haven't boated with most of the people who post on the gdi FB page, but I'll vouch for Alex and several of the Candians. Really nice folks. Don't not go to TN just because of the BS that gets posted over there.

That said, if I could make it to ALF this year, I would be signing up for a day with Eli for sure!

Shep
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

There is a real difference between the perceived atmosphere at ALF and the real atmosphere among boaters when attending. Just like a big family there are some things that a few don't like, but in the end we back each other up and look after one another. The lessons are a nice addition I think :^)
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

craig wrote:There is a real difference between the perceived atmosphere at ALF and the real atmosphere among boaters when attending.
^^This^^

Colin Moneypenny says it best: "ALF is like a pick-up hockey game. You meet up, you pick your group and your river, and you go off and have fun."

The GDI page is a collection of a lot of personalities and personas, many of whom are not indicative of that person's true nature. I'm including myself in this as much as anyone. I make jokes and occasionally trash talk, but I try to keep it light hearted and all in fun. Undoubtedly there has been some negativity on the page recently, but you shouldn't associate a few knuckleheads with the great festival that is ALF. I think last year over 200 people attended, and I only got to boat with a few dozen. If you don't want to be around certain people, you don't have to be.

Almost everyone I've met - from Tennessee and other places - have been stand up characters. They are the type of people that drive 200 miles to get you a boat when you've cracked yours on Day 1, they type of people that let you crash on their floor for two weeks and don't say boo. Don't let the drama (much of which is a sarcastic inside joke, a la anything from Barbara Anne DeFeo) on the GDI page dissuade you from attending one of the best weeks of boating you'll have all year.
Chris Loomis
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

NOW BACK TO ELI's Workshops.....I've done a lot of trainings from technical computer work to survival building fires by rubbing sticks and I think Eli Helbert is one of the most interesting and effective instructors I've come across. If you think you need what he's teaching at the moment I really suggest you go. I had the great pleasure in taking a Canoe instructor course with him last year. I thought it was a very effective and enjoyable week. I travelled 20 hrs round trip to take his course vs take it within 2 hours from home. If you are local for ALF this year its a great split of your time for fun & training. Go for it!

ChrisD, you're listening to Louie and making decisions on what Internet Louie types.... :roll:
There are 200 canoeist, just go, see, demo, drink and have fun. If you really don't care for where Louie is coming from you don't have to spend 1 minute with him...though i'll tell you that to paddle the river with him is completely different than reading what he writes.
Einar
CBoats Addict

GDI FB

Post by Einar »

I'm a couple of thousand miles away and don't surf the local sites. What does gdi fb link you to?
If it is all that nasty I gotta have a look at it.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

ALF is friendly to everyone and you will progress as a Canoer if you show up and paddle with anyone there. However, if you would like my personal focus and energy to aid you early on, contact me, this is least expensive instructional offering I will have in 2013.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

ELI I AM SO EXCITED!! about the workshop. I have gotten my deposit in for the Alf workshop. I have friends who have taken your canoe instructor course and your individual instruction and they can't stop talking about the experience. See you in TN
sar
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

This appears to be yet another instance in which commentary on the Internet is creating a false impression of the real thing.

Last year was my first ALF and I am really looking forward to going back. Whatever may have appeared on FB or elsewhere I can personally testify that the people were very nice everywhere I went. Even when I was half a class above my comfort level the folks I was with (all of whom were much better than I was, and it was a privilege to paddle with them) were friendly and encouraging (what they said when I wasn't around may have been completely different, but what does that matter?). There are probably half a dozen people or more I had not known before that I'm hoping to meet again. Louie is certainly one of them.

And the number and variety of rivers was fantastic.

My advice to everybody is: go!
omartin3
c

Post by omartin3 »

I've never attended ALF, but had the privilege of living in and being part of that community many years ago and agree that despite the banter on the internet, the community of paddlers in the SE are fantastic hosts and I don't know anyone who has attended ALF that hasn't had a positive experience and am looking forward to my trip to TN for ALF this year!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Go to ALF, come to the CBoat Armada, and check out as many other paddling trips as you can - you'll make new friends, learn a lot, and have a great time.

Folks internet persona doesn't always match their in-person one, and be careful in that regard too and don't go in with too many perceived notions of what someone will be like, especially with a number of the "stronger" personalities.

I'd seriously consider taking Eli up on his offer, too. I look forward to paddling with him this year, that's for sure!
Keep the C!
Adam
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Sir Adam wrote:Go to ALF, come to the CBoat Armada, and check out as many other paddling trips as you can - you'll make new friends, learn a lot, and have a great time.

Folks internet persona doesn't always match their in-person one, and be careful in that regard too and don't go in with too many perceived notions of what someone will be like, especially with a number of the "stronger" personalities.

I'd seriously consider taking Eli up on his offer, too. I look forward to paddling with him this year, that's for sure!
There's a lot of bravado on some sites and FB, but ALF attracts enough people you'll find some like-minded paddlers.

I took a course with Eli last season at ALF and highly recommend it. Worth the time & money. I would do it again if I was returning to ALF.