Pictures and techniques for cutting down a Royalex boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Pictures and techniques for cutting down a Royalex boat

Post by Cheeks »

Does anyone have any pictures of, or techniques for cutting down a Royalex boat like an Ocoee or Viper 11? I have the gunwales off, and am now looking for the best way to trim the top off
Chris Loomis
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: Pictures and techniques for cutting down a Royalex boat

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

I trimmed my Ocoee a few years ago. Cutting it was easy -- a sabre saw does the job neatly.

What was time consuming was determining WHERE to cut. I agonized, measured, marked, scratched my head, erased, swore, changed Sharpies, and kicked the dog. And what a gut-wrenching experience when the saw first bit into the pristine Royalex. . . :-?

Good luck with it.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
woodsy
c

Re: Pictures and techniques for cutting down a Royalex boat

Post by woodsy »

How much do you want to cut off? I took my Ocoee down 1" in the center and 1 1/2" at the ends. I clamped a wood gunnel (longer than the boat) to the hull to get a smooth line and marked it. Used a saber saw to cut it. I went from vinyl to 3/4 inch wood gunnels and aluminum thwarts and knocked 12 lbs. off the boat. I also pulled it in to 24" at center. Mount the gunnels just under the edge of the hull and sand the hull down smooth with the gunnels. I'll warn you, it is a little wetter in big water.