Break down canoe paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SinglebladeBlues
C Boater

Break down canoe paddle

Post by SinglebladeBlues »

Looking to pick up a break down paddle that I can fit in an Option. I know Aqua Bound has the Odyssey 7, and used to offer the Edge in a 2 piece. According to their website, they no longer offer the Edge as a break down. They make a darn good paddle from what I have heard and have no problem buying one. I would just like to know if there are any others out there before I lay my money down.

Thanks,

Rob
DougB
CBoats Addict

Re: Break down canoe paddle

Post by DougB »

Select

Shaggy Designs
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I really like my Edge breakdown and the Select, but would not use an Odyssey for whitewater
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

i wrote Aquabound an email directly regarding your exact situation a few months back. They got back to me later that same day. here's what they had to say:

"Yes, we do build the Edge in 1, 2 or 3pc options. Since we do not sell direct, you will need to contact a retailer to special order.

At this time, I do not know of a retailer stocking a 3pc Edge, but any of our Aqua-Bound retailers would be able to order for you. The Edge 3pc retails for $139.95."

Also, I agree with Wendy. If you're gonna go Aquabound breakdown, go with the Edge. BTW, I too paddle an Option.

Hope this helps!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
SinglebladeBlues
C Boater

Thanks for the quick responses. I really like the looks of the Shaggy paddle but, wow , what a price tag. I neglected to mention in my original post that I was hoping to keep this under $200. Also this will be an emergency, "Oh #@%$ I lost my paddle!!!" paddle. My everyday is 56" Sawyer Rogue Whitewater, wouldn't trade it for anything. So this is kinda like car insurance, ya hope not to use it, but you want it there.

See ya,

Rob
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I got a new 3 piece breakdown this week from AB so yes they are definately still available in 2 or 3 pieces.
I've run some very substantial falls/rapids/rivers on a 3 piece Edge. it works in all my canoes even my Ion.

I actually have several breakdown Edges. I paddle 100% of the time on some trips with Aqua-Bound breakdowns like at Esprit @ Mexico. One of my breakdowns is with Cheeks right now as a packable primary paddle in Costa Rica for his Esprit trip.
SinglebladeBlues
C Boater

Hey Creeker, thanks for the info. Who was the cooperative retailer that helped you with that 3 piece Edge. If I'm going to do this, the 3 piece is probably the most versitale for the money.

See ya,

Rob
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I too have a 3 piece AB edge that I really like. It is solid and not terribly expensive. I got mine last summer from http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store ... cts_id=601.

I agree that if it needed to be my primary paddle I would be fine with that, it works well.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

yeah waldens ridge is a good place to pick up canoe gear. I'd imagine the NOC could help you too. I saw Edges there in November. Some bright tape on the black shaft and paddle blade are good if you tend to swim at all. I put my 3 piece in a mesh bag and beener it to a loop of cord though the rear of my saddle.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Last year NOC would not help me get a breakdown paddle as an Edge. They insisted they could only do it as an Odessey. I had driven over to NOC because they had one listed as being in stock. The web listing was not accurate. So, if you buy through NOC make sure they will order the Edge, not the ODessey.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

arhdc wrote:I too have a 3 piece AB edge that I really like. It is solid and not terribly expensive. I got mine last summer from http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store ... cts_id=601.

I agree that if it needed to be my primary paddle I would be fine with that, it works well.
I purchased my 3 piece AB edge from Paddle Shack in Ottawa. They ship worldwide. I am in no way associated with them, just mentioning that they had no issues with a custom order.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

I need of a break down AB paddle as well. I've purchased a Taureau this fall and there's not much room in there so my question is, should I go with a 2 pieces or 3 pieces paddle? What do other Taureau and similar OC1-C1 owners have? Any differences in strength between the two?

Frank
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Three piece or bust! With the three-piece, the paddle blade and shaft pieces are almost exactly the same length, and fit under the rear airbag of a Taureau quite nicely.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Shep wrote:Three piece or bust! With the three-piece, the paddle blade and shaft pieces are almost exactly the same length, and fit under the rear airbag of a Taureau quite nicely.
Perfect, I'll take your advice, thanks! Another question for you Shep, since you're a Taureau man, just out of curiosity, what is the size of paddle you use with that boat? :D

Frank
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Sorry I've never actually bought an Aqua-Bound Paddle. They provide me with a few paddles a year for exposure and to now teach canoeing in turn for some good photography/postings of their wares. I did ask them who has their product online and they provided me with:

Rutabaga: http://www.rutabaga.com/aqua-bound-edge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACK: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/658 ... Piece.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll quickly realize these outlets do not have the lower volume selling Edge Breakdowns readily listed on the web.

These two distributors take orders and ship directly from the factory so it should not be much trouble to call them and have them obtain a current price for the 2 or 3 piece breakdown and have the factory ship it to you.

I hope this helps. If I were in your shoes I might just call Mark at Waldensridge and see about getting that paddle like Aaron suggested.....you get cookies with your shipments and that counts big in my book.