outfitting my Option

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

outfitting my Option

Post by truckeeboater »

So, I've been paddling my Option as much as I can this winter (which is really not much at all :( ), but have been to a couple of pool sessions to practice my roll. Currently the outfitting is still exactly as Jeremy has built it. I fit in the bulkhead just fine, sacrum against the rear of the saddle, hips straight, and almost a little too tight across the thighs with a drysuit on. However, when I'm practicing the roll, my butt comes up off the seat about 5 inches or so. I've played a bit with the footpegs but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe I'm not tweaking them in the right way, I'm not sure. Being relatively new to bulkhead outfitting (which i love BTW) I'm hesitant to just start hacking out foam all willy-nilly. I realize that proper outfitting is completely personal, but I was wondering if anyone has some insight into some general fixes that might help keep my butt in the seat. Thanks!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
craig
CBoats Addict

Re: outfitting my Option

Post by craig »

Sounds like your lower body fits fine in the bulkhead. Could it be that you are hitting your chest on the foam in front of you and pivoting off the seat? If so maybe thats where it needs to be trimmed. Do any trimming a little at a time, I am going to add more after trimming off 1/2" too much
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Thought about that as well while practicing the roll the other day. I'm a pretty long and lanky guy (6'3 and 175# soaking wet), so I don't think my upper body is encountering the foam in front of me enough to lever my butt out of the seat. Usually when I go to the pool, I start at the side with my hands on the edge and practice my hip snap before going for it with my paddle. I notice that my hind end rises off the pedestal while doing this as well, but certainly not to the extent that it does when doing a full roll.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

truckeeboater wrote:. . . I realize that proper outfitting is completely personal, but I was wondering if anyone has some insight into some general fixes that might help keep my butt in the seat. . .
Interesting question, Truckee. I have no experience with the bulkhead-only system, but I'm about to find out, having just purchased a new. . .

I'm wondering if anyone has found a need to add thigh straps, in addition to the bulkhead system? Or are the bulkheads enough for a bombproof fit?

How about body shape, leg-length, etc. -- is the bulkhead system better for some than for others?

Let's hear from ya, folks! Thanks!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Rick, you missed a word in your sentence, " having just purchased a new. . ." 8) . A new what??? :wink:
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have found that getting my knees out farther and having my thigh at least half way keeps my buttocks in the saddle.
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

Timely topic. I have the same question about bulkhead fitting as well, only this applies to my Big Dog Force. I added more foam so that my thighs are further into the bulkhead, but still feel as if i'm lifting off the saddle. So much so that the next time I'm in the pool, i'm going to see if a suicide belt helps out - seems to be a standard thing in C1's for a more solid fit.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

canotrouge wrote:. A new what??? :wink:
Cherchez un PM, mon ami! :o
C'est l'aviron. . . !
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

You shouldn't need a lap belt plus bulkhead to stay in your boat in the pool.

Just to play devil's advocate, my advice is don't be shy about carving into your bulkhead / pedestal. It's not hard to glue back in some strips of foam. (I admit, it isn't cosmetically pleasing. But a good fit is worth it).
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

get some 1/2 inch foam and line the inner thigh....just tape it in there and see if you can tighten up the thigh hole. I'd do that first and see what works...maybe just put on some ski layers as well to take up room or a drysuit. See about tightening up in the thigh hooks one way or another. drive the feet from the pedals and cram the knees more forward and deep into the saddle.

also look to add a block on the outer thigh against the sidewall foam to further close in the thigh. You have to figure out who you are. My buddy mark z is a knees tight together guy and he thigh-masters the center saddle with a tight clench to control and hip snap a roll. I on the otherhand push my knees out and never clench the saddle between the legs. All that foam in the sidewall..... Over the course of 4 hours one night watching tv I sculped pockets into the sidewall to perfectly match my calf and the knees are within 1/2 an inch of the side hull plastic. then I wedged up on the inside of the knee pad to level the knee pad (because the option bottom has a slant in the knee pad. then create blocky wedges, to glue in, to take the space up between the inner knee and the front side of the saddle. I'm 6' and 170...but I do have big thighs....I don't even come close to falling out in a pool. Push up those foot pegs till they are a bit uncomfortable and see if you can work into that or just step back one notch.

I cut Jeremy's saddle down about an inch to improve primary stability. I didn't actually add inner thigh tunnel foam but I just suggest it as I've tweaked other canoes that way for people trying out my bulkhead canoes.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Creeker wrote:drive the feet from the pedals and cram the knees more forward and deep into the saddle.
When I am setting up for a tough rapid, where I think I might need to roll, I have the foot pegs as far forward as I can stand them. It actually makes it a bit more challenging to bail out of the boat if things go badly. That said, you should be actively keeping yourself in the boat with tensed legs. If and when you need to come out of the boat, then let your butt come off the saddle and roll out of the boat.

Hope this helps,
Shep
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I’m using the BF bulkhead in a Zoom. I’m 5’8” with fairly big thighs.

I’ve added wedges under the hooks to force my knees out, carved into the sidewall foam where my knees press out and added ankle blocks to keep my feet vertical against the pegs. I also added 1” of foam to the back of the saddle.

I’m not moving in the saddle now, but the roll has become more difficult. I’ll have to see if my chest is hitting the bulkhead on rolling. You do have to be careful when adding foam to not block the transfer tubes.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses, gang. So it seems what I'm hearing most consistently is "more foam in the thigh hooks or behind me, maybe knees out more". I've got pretty skinny thighs and I'm in there pretty tight right now, so I feel that adding more foam there might not work for me. As far as moving knees further apart, would that not require some realignment of the thigh hooks to allow for the new angle? Also, I'm imagining that any of those adjustments will undoubtedly move my center of mass forward a bit. How badly might this effect my trim? Definitely don't want to be nose heavy! Thanks again!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Adding foam hasn’t changed my alignment in the hooks just added more contact to be locked in better.

The consensus for a while now has been bow up is the worst trim in whitewater/play boats. It makes the boat less responsive and slower turning. Neutral or a little bow down is considered best.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

cool. thanks for keeping me current (pun intended :D )! Will try out a few of these tweaks in the coming days. Thanks again for all the advice.
Peace Pow and Paddling!