CTug

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

CTug

Post by Wendy »

Has anyone used a CTug for canoes yet? If so could you comment on ease of use? My days of putting it on my head are limited and I want to carry/portage my own boat. I have a paddleboy and it is hard to keep strapped on and large to keep in the Option, Ion, L'edge. Now, the OCtane can hold a cooler.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: CTug

Post by PAC »

http://www.c-tug.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for those who are interested....

Wendy Mikey B worked up a small cart for me a while back that is simular to the CTug (but out dumpster bits and pieces). Not as fancy but very functional and supported me dragging a HydroDuet with gear and child in it along a crushed gravel trail for some way! It has worked really well and the only down part was you had to figure out the placement of the assembly to keeping the back end from scrapping. That and the kid kept falling out or drop stuff out of it as you hiked with the boat / trailer! Thought that was funny until they had to run back to get the stuff).

I can't see any down side if the access is easy. Looks light weight and durable.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
vanagonrabbitt

Post by vanagonrabbitt »

We borrowed the pneumatic version for a week long destination paddle with lots (4) portages and enjoyed the ease of use. Three of us shared the break-down of yoke pieces & wheels which was easy to inventory. Strapping the Bottom boat & placing another on top also works fine. The plastic frame the wheels slide onto is super-strong. The air filled wheels work great; but, if I bought one, it'd be the flat/wide ones for a little extra expense. I forget what else our minds decided the thing could be used for wait, carrying that double size bundle of fire wood with a paddle strapped in to pull it along:)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I used to laugh at these, but "solo tripping" with a 3 year old means the portage is out as I used to know it (for now).

This has worked really well, but it doesn't break down very small. Wheels are big, which is annoying for packing but great for uneven ground. Great for flatwater trips though. I use it mostly with my Wenonah Advantage.

http://www.campmor.com/paddleboy-atc-te ... keyword%7D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks for the responses. I like the large wheeled Paddleboy, but was looking for something I could put in the Option and Octane, so will go for the C Tug. I found the type with airless tires on sale. :D
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

The thing I like the least about the commercial units is weight. The Paddleboy is 15lbs, the CTug is 10lbs. I made my own, it weighs less than 6lbs. I'm pretty sure I could get it to about 4.5lbs if I tried.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Nick did you use PVC pipe? PIcs?
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Post by Al Donaldson »

Wendy:

If you are thinking of using the cart fro rough portages, the wheels on the CTug can be dislodged quite easily by rocks and brush (unless you wire the retainers in the closed position (a bit of a hassle...)). Not a positive characteristic.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks AL. The Chattooga has some rough areas and the takeout of the Upper Green.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Nick. Very nice!
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

how would one modify Nick's design to fit inside a smaller boat ...say a Tarearu?
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Do you have a hatch on you Taureau? IF not that would be my first step. Or, maybe a harness:

Bak Yak Harness

The Bak Yak is the industry standard for carrying your boat long distances in total comfort. It's been used to access many first descents throughout the world. Harness constructed of nylon pack cloth, closed cell foam padding and webbing straps allow for ease of carry. Take care of your back and spine during the hike... you'll need it for your first descent!
Features:
Folds into easy-stow stuff sack
Feather weight 29 oz.
Fits standard whitewater and play boats
Color: Black with red trim
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

That sounds different than the one I fiddled around with... It was definitely designed for packing a kayak, and the length and diameter of the option made it nearly impossible to get on and stable. I would say for any of the boat/backpack setups, make sure you can return it!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I know the pack would have to be modified. I used something like this on the Spanish Fly and our worked great, but the Option would be tricky.