Where to stay in Wausau?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

VTBoater
Pain Boater

Where to stay in Wausau?

Post by VTBoater »

I'm hoping to watch the open slalom nationals in July, and am wondering where people camp or stay near Wausau?

I'm doing some advance planning for a trip to Isle Royale and figured I'd make it coincide with the chance to see great canoeing. Plus, summer planning helps with February cabin fever. :D

Thanks!

Chris
Northwoodsbc
C Boater

Re: Where to stay in Wausau?

Post by Northwoodsbc »

I asked this same question last year.

Craig would have to confirm, but everyone camps in the grass near the takeout. It's kind of weird camping in a park right in downtown Wausau, but it was a good scene. Brand new bathroom facility there also!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Right at the course... and it's free. :wink:

There are a few other places to camp like Marathon Park or the Eau Claire Dells... but the 'scene' will be right at the course.
http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/Department ... mping.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

Sweet! Free, close, and social sounds perfect. Thanks for the info!
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

ChrisD,
My only question for you is, why are you just coming to Wausau to watch?!?! If you are hanging around on CBoats, I assume you have some basic skills at the very least. You have some time before July rolls around to hone those skills a bit more. You will not find a more supportive inviroment for learning then the canoe nationals. There are people racing that take it seriously to a point, but a majority of participants are there for the above mentioned "scene". And it is about the coolest thing I have ever been part of. If you will not be toting whitewater boats on this trip, I (among others) will loan boats. There is a Citizen's class for new racers, so think about it. You don't have many excuses to not join in the fun. As someone once stated, Open Canoe Nationals is the the absolute best, least expensive, most fun whitewater canoe clinic you could ever find. See you there.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

Hey Alan, that sounds awesome, and I definitely want to participate as much as possible! Or, as much as people will allow me to "slalom" in an Ion :D I can't wait!

I tried OC-ing this summer just for kicks and now I'm hooked. Been practicing as much as I can. I may never get back in a kayak. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I just get so much more of a kick out of canoeing.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Chris, I believe Jeremy won at least one category in an Ion this past year, and he and I won some sort of tandem class in the Octane 92. So, just to set your expectations, I got to paddle with Jeremy, and we WON something, and the rest of the weekend I only managed one run where I didn't miss going through at least one gate, and swam on at least one run. Sign up for as much as you can! Also, try to show up for the practice days. People are super helpful and friendly. But whatever you do, DON'T just show up and watch! :D

Shep
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

ChrisD wrote:I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I just get so much more of a kick out of canoeing.
Someone once said "Half the paddle, twice the fun"

Don't miss out on a chance to try your hand at racing - If nothing, It will hone your whitewater skills better than almost anything else - even if you aren't a competitive type.
bones
c

Post by bones »

Where do I get info on the Citizen class for the Nationals in Wausau?
Gadget
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It's a bit dense, but here are the official rules: http://ocs.whitewater-slalom.us/oc-srulx.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The short version is that if you have never placed first at nationals, you can race citizen class. I think some people who are pretty good who may not have finished first still don't enter to be nice to the newbs.

I raced citizens class last year in 1-2 categories, and the paddlers are still good, just not Eli, Dooley, and Jordi good.

Hope this helps,
Shep
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Found the exact definition:

Non-championship classes
A non-championship Citizens Race shall be held at the annual national slalom competition. A Citizen is defined as a person who has never raced in our annual national slalom competition before or has never placed 1st , 2nd or 3rd in the Citizens Race at two previous annual national slalom competitions. This event is open to any nationality, and Citizens awards will be presented to 3 places. Citizens Race classes will consist of OC-1 Open, OC-1 Women, OC-2 Open, and OC-2 Mixed.
bones
c

Post by bones »

Thanks for the info...I will be giving it a run this year. Watch out for the newbie!!!
Gadget