ALF (Class II - III)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bôchamp
C Boater

ALF (Class II - III)

Post by bôchamp »

Looking for class II - III friends for ALF.

Arriving on friday 8th in the morning. Would be wellling to start paddling Friday in the afternoom :D
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: ALF (Class II - III)

Post by Todhunter »

Wendy Arthur usually ends up leading II-III trips.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

I'll be at Shoneys Saturday morning looking for some Cl 3. I have an Option with a shark face on it.

Ken

Ps The middle Tellico beginning at Turkey Creek is a superb Cl 3 run. But there are plenty of others.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

I'll be pulling in Friday evening, hopefully to Sweetwater.
Blue Jetta tdi wagon with a yellow Prodigy and possibly a red Phantom on top.
Looking for the class II-III trips as well. Will paddle Sat, Sun, Mon, possibly Tuesday am.
Realistically, should a class II-III boater attempt the Tellico race? I hear yes from most, no from others.
c
bôchamp
C Boater

Post by bôchamp »

Aight :D !! Will be at sweetwater aswell !
Red focus with a Deto and probably a ledge !
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

carter1 wrote:I'll be pulling in Friday evening, hopefully to Sweetwater.
Looking for the class II-III trips as well. Will paddle Sat, Sun, Mon, possibly Tuesday am.
Realistically, should a class II-III boater attempt the Tellico race? I hear yes from most, no from others.
c
The Tellico is perfect for a solid class III boater looking to step up. There will be people running the river lots of days during ALF who would be happy to show you the lines. I wouldn't advise paddling during the race because there will be a lot of bumping and crowded lines.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

carter1 wrote:I'll be pulling in Friday evening, hopefully to Sweetwater.
c

I agree with riverken and BobH. Personally, I would not care to run the Tellico Ledges (where the race will be) for the first time during a free-for-all race. Run it the first time with someone who knows it well and can show you good lines and go at a pace at which you can study and learn the rapids.

There are a surprising number of people who have only done the 2 mile Ledges stretch on the Tellico and never paddled the section below Jerrod's Knee. You can start at either Turkey Creek or the bridge upstream of it (which is about 100 yards or so below Jerrod's knee) at the end of the Ledges run, which adds several good rapids. It is a delightful Class II-III run at "normal" water levels and I would recommend doing it first as an introduction to the Tellico.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

The middle tellico is a great warm up if you find yourself there on friday. You just drive along the tellico, and put-in where you feel comfortable... the whole thing is road side.

Good to hear you stayin at Sweetwater, we had a lot of fun there last year, and its sounding like this year may be even better.

BTW - all should participate in the race! It's a blast. There will be people swimming everywhere
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
bôchamp
C Boater

Post by bôchamp »

Hahah ! Yiiiiii Haaaa ! :D

Since all the river are frozen over here and also because I know that there's a difference between a class III Continuous and a Class III waves & pool (what im used to) ... i'm very happy to see that there will be easier river to do ! and as the weekend go see how i can improve my ''creeking''.

Also very exited to do the Tellico race ... in a duo !! :D
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

I'm coming in Friday late afternoon into sweetwater (cabin area). Black Forester and will have a blue outrage and a blue octane 92. I'm taking eli's class on saturday but will be there through at least following wednesday and this is exactly class water - 2 to 3 i'm looking for.
sar
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
bôchamp
C Boater

Post by bôchamp »

We will not be at KOA finally, but surely will be at Shoneys saturday morning !
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have a family emergency, but hope to be there the first weekend. Will post more closer to that Friday. Also we will know water levels and options.
BlueFloater
c

Post by BlueFloater »

My son (15 yo) and I will be there to paddle Saturday thru Monday or Tuesday. We'll be looking for class II-III. We ran Middle Tellico (Turkey Creek on) last weekend. We will be in a silver Dodge Ram with a green Option and a red and yellow swirl Option. We are also staying at the Sweetwater KOA.
bones
c

Post by bones »

Will be at Shoneys Saturday am and staying at KOA first few nights and then Kings Inn. Class II-III also expecially the first few days. Honda mini van with a Red Dagger Genisis.
Gadget
zen_ben
C Boater

Post by zen_ben »

Bringing my wife for her first time and our tandem boat - purple Probe 14. Mid Tellico, Clear Creek, Obed-Emory offer good II-III options. See you at Shoney's.
There's also a crew from Ontario that tends to stick to that level and we'll be meeting up with them.

Ben
Ben

Go beyond Leave no trace
Let's Erase the trace
Pack out more than you pack in