Gaia Everlast

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jededmon
Pain Boater

Gaia Everlast

Post by jededmon »

Anyone have much experience with the Everlast bags. I have used the standard float bags from Gaia before and have always thought they do not last nearly as long as other bags like the Harmony ones for example. So... these are supposedly guaranteed for life. Any one had any luck with these?
paulandersen

Re: Gaia Everlast

Post by paulandersen »

I have them. They seem to work well. I've had them in my L'edge for the past 2 1/2 years. I leave them in all the time. They seem to be holding up just fine.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I really like them...have used them for about a year in my L'Edge. Haven't tried out that lifetime warranty yet, but haven't had the need to.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Got some experience with them as at Esprit in Costa Rica a good chunk of our boats are fitted with them.
The good thing is that they are very stretchy and are therefore not very prone to blowing out seams if they are overinflated and left in the sun. Abrasion resistance against slow leaks with sand rubbing between the bag and the hull seems to be good as well.
The drawbacks are that the material is not very puncture resistant, definitely less so than the nylon bags. We had a number of bags that got punctured by small branches. They are easily fixed though, degrease, light sand and then glue on a patch with aquaseal.
Another issue that seems to happen to other air bags as well is that the valves are not very well attached to the stems and fall off. Another easy fix, as long as you don't lose the valve, just glue it back onto the stem with aquaseal.

TGG!

Personally, I am sticking with nylon reinforced bags.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
wncred
C Boater

Post by wncred »

i used the gaia bags for a for a while until the the air fill tube came apart for bag. this was a few years ago. This happened to 4 or 5 bags, and sent back 3 of those then said enough with Gaia and moved over to harmony! and i am on the fence with them also.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The most durable float bags I ever had where the Crewsaver ones that were used by Pyranha. Bullet proof heavy-duty fabric and a screw in valve. Left mine in my first prelude for years, never took it out and it was still holding air 7 years later when the boat passed hands. The ones in my 2nd Prelude are still mint, too, despite having been driven all over the place, including all the way from Costa Rica to Canada.
Crewsaver still makes bags, but they are pricey and come, as far as I could tell from their website only in a length up to 44".

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

My understanding is that the pyranha bags had crewsaver valves, but where made by a different company, so they're not the same as the ones crewsaver is making now.
As far as the Gaia bags go, my understanding is that the parent company has discontinued the entire Gaia line, so I'm not sure I'd put Cush stock in the lifetime warranty.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

It is true that Gaia's parent company is, or has, discontinued the Gaia brand. However, the same bags are still being made by the same company in the same location. Only now they will be private labeled, for instance, "Millbrook Boats".
It's unclear to me if they or I will still offer the same warranty.
JKaz......
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I'm not sure if I have the regular Gaia bags or the everlast but I bought two of them for my first boat three years ago.

The first bag's hose used for inflating ripped right off during a shuttle. I got to the put-in and the hose was just gone. I guess this is sort of my fault because you aren't supposed to drive with them in the boat. I replaced this bag with one of the nylon style ones which is absolutely bomber.

The second bag is still functional but is patched in a lot of places. They puncture really easily.

My opinion is that the material used for these bags is weak, but patches really nicely. The stretchy factor is nice too because they won't blow up in the sun.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Dave.E.
You said...."patched in a lot of places. They puncture really easily."
What's in your boat making them puncture?
JKaz......
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

kaz wrote:Dave.E.
You said...."patched in a lot of places. They puncture really easily."
What's in your boat making them puncture?
Nothing I can think of... I usually keep a water bottle under it clipped to something but that's it. Maybe the carabiner? Every hole has been a really small circle so I am just calling it a puncture rather than tear.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

frig em all! go BIG FOOT bag. search e-bay for DUNNAGE BAG i pay $20 for 5 36"x36" i leave them in the boat always. i outfitted 4 of my boats for under $100
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'