ABS slurry on a Discovery?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

awells
C Boater

ABS slurry on a Discovery?

Post by awells »

Im working on a Discovery that had some delam and cracking. I cut all the bad stuff out. I'm thinking of a layer of Gorilla glue over the foam covered up by layers of ABS slurry. I'm trying to keep it cheap and I already have both the GG and the slurry on hand.

I've read that the slurry will adhere to the GG fine, but I've yet to find anything confirming or denying the slurry working on non-abs surfaces.

Thanks!
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Re: ABS slurry on a Discovery?

Post by Yukon »

it may work for a while. may not. rough up your surfaces well, flame treat them and go for it
your boat is pretty much toast now you may be able to nurse some life into it depending on your usage.
skid plates stick on for a good time. dring patches not so good

try it and let us know
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

I thought the Discovery was made out of Polyethylene. Shouldn't it be weldable then...? Not sure how much damage you have but a good weld seems like a better fix then an adhesive cocktail (at least on other plastic boats). No experience with the boat in question though, so I could be way off.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

I believe the Discos are crosslink- not very weldable. I can't imagine that ABS goo will work, doubt it will stick at all. Some sort of epoxy repair is probably the only option, aside from duct tape.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

upta maine we use PC-11 or PC-7 two part epoxy paste. holds up very well adds years to my powered discovery sport15 square tail lake boat. pigment can be added to PC-11 marine epoxy.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I doubt that Discoveries are crosslink. They should be linear, and weldable.

If anything has a chance of forming a strong bond, it would be G-flex, after flaming the poly surface. But I would look for a welder.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

ezwater wrote:I doubt that Discoveries are crosslink. They should be linear, and weldable.

If anything has a chance of forming a strong bond, it would be G-flex, after flaming the poly surface. But I would look for a welder.
You're right, my memory fails me...

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/craftsmansh ... materials/

Should be able to weld it, but I'm not sure how the foam layer would react when heated.
awells
C Boater

Post by awells »

Thanks everyone.
I did a spot test and definitely determined that the slurry will not adhear at all to the Polyethylene layer. I did, however, appear to have good luck getting a layer of Gorillia Glue down over the ABS foam.

I then coated just the glued section with the ABS slurry, it seemed to stick fine, the air bubbles that form in the GG seemed to have helped give more surface for it to stick to. I'm now just going to lay down some Gorilla Tap over the whole section, a few inches out from the repair site and call it done. This boat isn't worth much, and I don't want to buy anything else to get it back to "POS loaner status".

The slurry helped to add some rigidity back to the repair site and even if I have to replace the tape every now and then it beats dumping more money into a boat that'll likely get wrapped in the next 18 months :)