New light L'Edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

New light L'Edge

Post by Wendy »

Esquif brought light L'Edges to ALF- one purple, and one yellow, their new colors. I am fortunate to get to buy the purple one. Today after some late night foam carving I got to take her for a spin. First, loading the 51 pound outfitted boat was very easy, and unloading. The finish on the boat is gorgous, and it paddles like a dream. Compared to the original it takes less strength to get her up to speed. She was faster than the Option I paddled beside today. I have always liked how the L'Edge paddled- boofs so easy, turns, spins, and surfs with ease. This version is even better for my nearly 60 year old body.
Finally, the color purple is fantastic. Several guys love it as well as all the women we ran into today.
Attachments
522550_628445110514899_1118302134_n.jpg
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Re: New light L'Edge

Post by busterblue »

I'm stoked. How'd they make it lighter?
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Helium Airbags :wink:
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

interesting. Are the measurements of the boat the same or is it smaller ?
imagine
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Craig or Jacques should chime in. This is fine tuning of the molding process. Same boat with less thick plastic allowing some flex the heavier version did not allow and lightening the finished product. Eli has been paddling the light version, and the white one is a light version too. Lots of choices for open boaters this year.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Flexibility helps cut weight. Appropriate outfitting will help preserve rigidity and hullform where needed. Easier to do with a small hull.

I suggest rationing the boofs and seal launches off L'edges, to avoid the hull wavies.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

My understanding is its the same mold with less plastic and a slightly refined molding process. Some of the early L'Edge's (semi prototype) were apparently rather thin and flexy and have been beat hard by their respective owners without breaking. The thought is that by allowing more flex it will reduce the tension on the plastic and help prevent cracking. Added bonus, they are lighter.

Time will tell I guess.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Took the light L'Edge out today on 2000 cfs release of the Pigeon and had a blast. It usually runs 1200-1400 cfs so lots of extra water. I have not put a pump in the boat. Today the long Entrance rapid was beefy and so I filled up with the continuous breaking waves. The boat paddled very well full of water with it sloshing over the gunnels. I had a hand pump, and eddied out, started laughing because it didn't do alot. Lesson learned- overfill the airbags on a cold day so there is not so much room for water. The boat handled like the original weight, just much easier to paddle. We also had 30-40 mph gusts of wind to contend with and the purple L'Edge and I did well. The last rapid Accelerator was larger waves and I had a dry run through it. I will put a pump because I can take dry lines, but it is so much fun to take the line down the meat. I will also put a larger pass thru tube. The saddle has 2 small ones.
The kayaker who went with Seth and I was impressed with the lightness of the boat. JT, the kayaker, paddled with a single blade at the takeout. One at a time working on converting more open boaters.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

arhdc wrote:My understanding is its the same mold with less plastic and a slightly refined molding process. Some of the early L'Edge's (semi prototype) were apparently rather thin and flexy and have been beat hard by their respective owners without breaking. The thought is that by allowing more flex it will reduce the tension on the plastic and help prevent cracking. Added bonus, they are lighter.

Time will tell I guess.
Mine is #009 and weighs in at 51# outfitted with saddle, bags, pump. and battery and has held up fine. I have always thought the ones that broke were because the plastic was too thick and would not flex. I love this boat more every time I paddle it.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

More information will be coming soon on the L'edge L'ight.

Eli, Gigi and a few other folks have been testing them since last fall. So far so good. :wink:

Shawn Malone is currently torture testing a Yella' L'ight before they are released.

Here's a nice shot of Wendy in L'purple. :D

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I should be getting a couple (both yellow) out here any day. Jacques said I'm the first dealer to get the Lightweight L'Edge. Super stoked! If you are out west and are interested in one, let me know.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

The "L'purple" is a sharp looking boat! I'm not sure why but I think the boat looks better in purple than red or orange.

Nice to see some new colors, and lighter weight....
Keep the C!
Adam
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I am loving the light LEdge. I have paddled it in 2300 pushy cfs and creeking low and high volume.
/Users/margaretarthur/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2013/Tellico March 23 2013/P1010948.JPG
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The light L'Edge was a blast to paddle today on a low flow (ELF) run of the Oconaluftee. It just floated right over the numerous rocks that were minimally covered. Spun on a dime. The hull felt great through everything. It flexed when needed without issue. Fun birthday paddle.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

we share a birthday :P .....too bad we don't share a L'edge
Parrot Head Paddler