Shoulder pain question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

VTBoater
Pain Boater

Shoulder pain question

Post by VTBoater »

Hi, I'm relatively new to open boating but have been paddling a ton this summer and progressing pretty well. I recently started to experience some shoulder pain after several consecutive long days on the water.

I didn't do anything particular to it, it just really started hurting each day right after putting on the river (I'm a righty paddler and it's my right shoulder). I came to OC-1 from kayaking, and I'm very careful about protecting my shoulder by avoiding high braces and bad paddle position, and I've never even remotely had any shoulder issues. I have good torso rotation on my onside stroke, so I don't notice myself putting undue stress anywhere, so I can't figure out what's causing the pain.

Are there shoulder/upper body exercises that I should or could be doing to strengthen my shoulder? I have to admit that I'm an avid runner who's always had really pitiful upper body strength.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Re: Shoulder pain question

Post by John Coraor »

There are a lot of ways that you can develop shoulder pain and I'm neither a doctor nor a physical therapist, so I won't venture any opinions as to the cause of your's or what you should do in response to it. However, I will point you toward a preventative exercise routine designed to strengthen the four small muscles in your shoulder that comprise its rotator cuff. Strengthening of the rotator cuff muscles can help stablize the shoulder and make it less prone to injury. This exercise routine is recommended by Davey Hearn, two-time Whitewater Slalom World Champion and perennial National Champion in C-1, and can be found on his website at the following location: http://www.daveyhearn.com/Coaching/Tech ... outine.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Re: Shoulder pain question

Post by VTBoater »

Thank you very much, John, that's exactly what I was looking for.