Check out
C-Forum Discussion of all things WhiteWater Canoe related
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shoulder pain question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 pm 
Pain Boater

Hi, I'm relatively new to open boating but have been paddling a ton this summer and progressing pretty well. I recently started to experience some shoulder pain after several consecutive long days on the water.

I didn't do anything particular to it, it just really started hurting each day right after putting on the river (I'm a righty paddler and it's my right shoulder). I came to OC-1 from kayaking, and I'm very careful about protecting my shoulder by avoiding high braces and bad paddle position, and I've never even remotely had any shoulder issues. I have good torso rotation on my onside stroke, so I don't notice myself putting undue stress anywhere, so I can't figure out what's causing the pain.

Are there shoulder/upper body exercises that I should or could be doing to strengthen my shoulder? I have to admit that I'm an avid runner who's always had really pitiful upper body strength.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm 
CBoats Addict

There are a lot of ways that you can develop shoulder pain and I'm neither a doctor nor a physical therapist, so I won't venture any opinions as to the cause of your's or what you should do in response to it. However, I will point you toward a preventative exercise routine designed to strengthen the four small muscles in your shoulder that comprise its rotator cuff. Strengthening of the rotator cuff muscles can help stablize the shoulder and make it less prone to injury. This exercise routine is recommended by Davey Hearn, two-time Whitewater Slalom World Champion and perennial National Champion in C-1, and can be found on his website at the following location: http://www.daveyhearn.com/Coaching/Tech ... outine.htm

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm 
Pain Boater

Thank you very much, John, that's exactly what I was looking for.