Removeable Saddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rab
c

Removeable Saddle

Post by rab »

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with this system from northwater? Is it secure? Thinking of outfitting a OC2 with this set up for the bow and stern and maybe even the solo position.

http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... addle.html

thanks

rab
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: Removeable Saddle

Post by arhdc »

I used the Northwater Daisy chains like in the photo with a home made saddle and 2' NRS cam buckles to make basically this same setup myself. I put it in a classic tandem to have a center solo paddling position that could be taken out for tandem tripping. The saddle is reasonably secure and overall it works ok. The bigger issue is that the rest of the outfitting needs to be adjustable as well.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I've got a Vertige X set up with North Water removable saddles and they work great. No problems, very secure.

It's a good set up because I've got a true solo position, and the tandem trim is adjustable for different weights. Outfitting was tricky because various pads and anchors may overlap - for example, I had to cut some hollow spots under the saddles where they go over thigh strap anchors.

The only thing I don't like about the saddle pictured isthe low back, I don't get why they use a different saddle for this, so I got mine with the normal higher back. I completely recommend their daisy chains as a system for removable saddles, and to me it's the best way to get the most versatility out of a boat.

Good luck, Pat.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

This topic was previously discussed in: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7963943

I did use a similar setup when I bought my Caption about 5-6 yrs ago. Has worked great and allowed the boat to be quickly setup for tandem or solo paddling. Here is a picture shortly after it was outfitted, but before the additional centre thwart was added.

regards
dave
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Compared to Dave's boat, I only used 2 daisy chains, a long one for stern & solo, and a short one for bow; and I didn't use the daisy chains as thigh-strap anchors, but installed d-rings, which in some positions had to be hidden in hollow pockets under the saddle. I also have toe cups in the stern, and used a foot brace on the saddle that I use for bow & solo. That and Dave seems a lot neater than I am - figuring out some of the overlap required a lot of scribbling and scratching for me, shoulda used pencil I guess!

This link should be to some photos of mine:
https://picasaweb.google.com/vanc.yarne ... kZKWzdGmOw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

This is really good photos of the outfitting you guys. I have a caption that I need to re-outfit this spring.... And I think I wil borrow some of these ideas!!
Thank you for sharing.
rab
c

Post by rab »

Thanks for the responses guys and the pictures. Gives me an idea of what can be done. It'll be a little while until I modify the boat but will let you know how it goes, and likely ask more questions.

thanks again
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I have a removable foam pedestal in my C1, but the design could also be used in an OC with a properly placed thwart:

The back of the seat has a notch at the top that tightly fits under the cockpit rim (or a thwart on an OC). A couple of glued-on guides on the thwart could locate the seat side-to-side if necessary.

The bottom of the seat rear is held between two flanges glued to the hull.

The front of the seat is velcro'd to the hull.

The seat comes in and out easily by releasing the velcro'd end.
Bob P
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

My saddle in my ocoee is held in bty velcro ... of course it has knee boots and toe blocks .... has worked fine for the last the last 10 yearsset or so
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/