Octane 85

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

D-Caption
C Guru

Octane 85

Post by D-Caption »

Are there any reviews or feed back on the new Octane 85 as compared to Option, Ledge , Ion etc.
thanks in advance

D-Caption
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Octane 85

Post by Shep »

This is about it so far...
https://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic ... &t=7967341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I paddled the Octane 85 through 9 miles of varied water from tight creeking, to big drops, to pushy water.

I think the prototype may undergo some changes before anything is produced. I shared my thoughts with Jeremy, but I don't know what direction he is planning to push the boat.

The 85 is ridiculously dry and stable. It was easy to edge from side to side and handled very predictably. It is a confidence booster heading into stout water.

I consistently landed in control and found big pushy water an absolute cakewalk. Secondary stability kicks in with a force if you do get tossed off balance.

I had a little trouble diving out of the current or carving into eddies. Fighting against big water was tough for last minute changes of plan. Sometimes the square stern dragged, and I founded it easier to spin into eddies flat rather than on edge.

It was a bit of a cruiser compared to the Option which was more responsive. The 85 was drier. Not sure on speed, but less "nimble" than the Option. I did not attempt a roll, because there was no turning this boat over.

Again this boat was a prototype, and will likely be modified. It might need to be sized down a bit more (in the voluminous ends?) to get to a sweet spot for lighter paddlers to drive and carry.

Whatever Jeremy cooks up, we appreciate the continued innovation.

--Z
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

really interesting boat and concept for smaller and lighter paddlers
imagine
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

There were some great posts on the thread linked above about the OCtane 85 prototype.

I spent some time in the boat too and wanted to echo the comments about the OCtane 85 acting like a faster Ion. The playboating hull on the Octane 85 prototype keeps it very stable on the primary, but the reduced width gives it much more action as you edge it and get it onto its secondary stability. I love this lively feel which gives you more control through the secondary stability than you would get with the Ion. Since it so stable, it is not as snappy into eddies as the Ion and performs more like the Option for these kind of quick eddy turns.

Its definitely fast and loves to boof. I can't wait to get more time in the boat.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

What is the reccomended upper weight limit?

Thanks,
Big Al
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Zoom's comment is freaking hilarious:

"I did not attempt a roll, because there was no turning this boat over."

Saw one at ALF and can't wait to try whatever Jeremy "cooks up" next.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

The weight limit is hard to answer... the boat is being designed more for the lighter paddler, but the prototype paddled very well with a larger paddler (myself). The best I can say is that the production version will have some tweaks over the prototype and we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm! I am equally excited! I have the prototype at my house in Pennsylvania and will try to have it at some river gatherings this spring and summer like CheatFest.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Thanks. Great boats, just wish the Octanes weren't so "f'ugly" :lol:

Big Al
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Big Al wrote:Thanks. Great boats, just wish the Octanes weren't so "f'ugly" :lol:

Big Al
just put a bag over your head

I was in the 85 for a short rapid and echo these statements, feltlike a more nimble octane. and was even dry with me in it.
Proud Yankee
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Big Al wrote:Thanks. Great boats, just wish the Octanes weren't so "f'ugly" :lol:

Big Al
Think of it as a river dump truck!
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Owning a OCtane92, this is my opinion of what it looks like (and it's really close). The design is more than 100 years old, usually made of steel and enamel:

Flo
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

I like the 3rd one.
Clean lines, good lift in the bow.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I will boof the porcelain off of that in next year's Tellico race.

Actually, ...calling Bob Britt.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

:wink:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............