Dry pants with not-so-dry top?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pblanc
CBoats Addict

Dry pants with not-so-dry top?

Post by pblanc »

I have a pair of dry pants with attached booties, a bib and suspenders. I have always been reluctant to consider wearing these with anything less than a full dry top, with latex neck and wrist gaskets for fear that the pants might fill with water during a swim to the point of becoming a real hazard.

I wonder if this is a real concern. I have used waterproof splash pants with a neoprene belt and velcro ankle gussets and I have taken a few swims in the past. These did collect a quart or so of water in each leg, but I don't remember them posing any great obstacle to swimming. I have also worn a dry top over a shorty wet suit and fleece and swam and although the fleece became wet, of course, the dry top did not collect so much water as to make it difficult to use my arms.

So I am thinking of wearing a semi-dry top with velcro neck and biceps gussets over a pair of dry pants on days I would find a full dry top too warm. Has anyone done this and, if so, did they have any reason to regret it?
craig
CBoats Addict

Re: Dry pants with not-so-dry top?

Post by craig »

Bibs can be quite unsafe if filled with water. I know of some one that died because the bibs filled with water during a swim. Can you change the ankle gaskets to something else to let water out?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

If its warm enough for a shorty non dry top, i'd be in shorts.
Agreed that bibs seem sketch.
Larry
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Dry pants with a semi dry top is redundant. Either get a dry top or wet suit,I suggest a dry top but I paddle in mostly melted glacier water.

I have the Kokatat dry pants with gaskets and have never had an issue with swimming,and I have definitely put them to the test.When folded together with the dry top, i'm dry as a bone...mostly.I agree with Larry,if it's warm enough for a shorty,then boat in shorts.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I understand the impulse to wear a shorty over dry pants - especially when (only when?) open boating - you may really not be getting your upper body wet, but your lower body is possibly sitting in several inches of water (or wading).

I have worn a semi-dry top over paddling pants and really didn't care for it - with a swim, my lower half got really wet with water infiltrating from the top and resulting in very soggy polypro. And while we have always been told (and told others) how wonderful it is that polypro insulates when wet, it still pretty much sucked. So, the next day I had a pair of neoprene pants. Not quite as comfy when dry, but a lot better when wet and no possibly delicate gaskets to worry about. Even though I now have a dry suit, I still sometimes pull the neoprene out on those warm air /cold water open boat days. But usually, I go with the dry suit because dry suit :-P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I understand the impulse to wear a shorty over dry pants - especially when (only when?) open boating - you may really not be getting your upper body wet, but your lower body is possibly sitting in several inches of water (or wading).

I have worn a semi-dry top over paddling pants and really didn't care for it - with a swim, my lower half got really wet with water infiltrating from the top and resulting in very soggy polypro. And while we have always been told (and told others) how wonderful it is that polypro insulates when wet, it still pretty much sucked. So, the next day I had a pair of neoprene pants. Not quite as comfy when dry, but a lot better when wet and no possibly delicate gaskets to worry about. Even though I now have a dry suit, I still sometimes pull the neoprene out on those warm air /cold water open boat days. But usually, I go with the dry suit because dry suit :-P
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

sbroam wrote:I understand the impulse to wear a shorty over dry pants - especially when (only when?) open boating - you may really not be getting your upper body wet, but your lower body is possibly sitting in several inches of water (or wading).
Exactly. When paddling on a stream with rather coldish water (like the Nantahala) on a warmish, sunny day a full dry suit or dry top is sometimes too much. Yet one might not relish getting receiving a lap full of 50 degree water. Plus it is easier to keep your feet warm in a dry suit of dry suit bottom with attached booties.
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Roll practice when your too hot :wink:
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
sc-vapaddler
c

Post by sc-vapaddler »

Have you considered a simple pair of rain pants? Many of those who paddle in the early spring or late fall that do not have dry suits seem to like the idea of rain pants with a shorty top. Make sure you get some without a lining....maybe the kind of rain pants that are pure plastic vs. plastic-coated nylon. May help with drainage while keeping your lap warm enough.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

sc-vapaddler wrote:Have you considered a simple pair of rain pants? Many of those who paddle in the early spring or late fall that do not have dry suits seem to like the idea of rain pants with a shorty top. Make sure you get some without a lining....maybe the kind of rain pants that are pure plastic vs. plastic-coated nylon. May help with drainage while keeping your lap warm enough.
Yes, indeed I still have an old pair of Patagonia paddling pants with a thick neoprene belt and velcro ankle gussets which I will probably continue to use based on the responses here.