Extrasport Tactical PFD - reviews?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

YTcanoe
C Guru

Extrasport Tactical PFD - reviews?

Post by YTcanoe »

Between getting on a Grand trip and re-certing my SWRT with a particularily sadistic instructer soon - I'm thinking a higher float pfd could be nice.

Any reviews or feedback on the Extrasport Tactical? It looks pretty clean for a high float.
Though it is a uni-fit, I'm a large, so maybe not alot of excess material. Restrictive? The back looks good. Does the front shoulder design inhibit cross strokes?

Thanks
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Extrasport Tactical PFD - reviews?

Post by the great gonzo »

Sorry, no review of it here, but I looked into high float PFD's for a bit (still haven't found one I like), and the Tactical initially caught my eye because of it's cleanness, too, until i looked into it a bit loser and noticed that, in it's basic form, it does not have any pockets at all. once you add pockets to it, it is as cluttered in the front as just about ebvery other high-float rescue PFD on the market.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Thanks for the input Martin.

I'll hold off a little longer for more input/reviews, but I think I might go for it.
I tend to keep minimal in my pockets and have an excellent outdoors seamstress that could custom make a small low profile pocket and biner garage, etc. Will report back to all if I proceed.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

thought I could help but, mine's a universal.

although I see NRS has yours on closout
Proud Yankee
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Be careful of home made modifications to PFDs. On lots of permitted trips in the west the Rangers check equipment and if a tags missing off a PFD showing its 'approved' or if an aftermarket modification has been made than it can't be used. A bit silly and overbearing but something to consider. Heard about it happening on Westwater.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Thanks Smurf, for some great insight.

I have ordered one and was planning on having a custom low profile pocket sewn to the molle strapping rather than the bulky clip ons shown on the Extrasport site. I'll now stick with something removeable in case I catch a Grand ranger having a slow day.
Will post review. My current jacket is an Extrasport Creeker. Very happy with it.