Designing my own boat, help please!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Re: Designing my own boat, help please!

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

Jeremy's foam idea for the ends is great. I use built up chunks of cedar so that I can work with the same density of material when I'm blocking it out. As for shape, it's entirely your call- build the ends that work for your design and what you want to achieve. Is it a creekboat, a river runner or a freestyle boat?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Given accurate cross-sections (every 6-10 inches) from which to build a matrix, I would roughly cover the framework with wood strips (even lath), not worrying about the gaps between them. Then I would cover that basic shape with a couple layers of fiberglass. Do the final Bondo work over that base. (Hint: the "lite" versions are more expensive but much easier to sand.)
Bob P
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

For the end shapes, cut a 1/2"-3/4" plywood into the rocker profile shape. Then trace the top shape of the ends you want onto cardboard. Cut a 2x6 or 2x8 to the profile and screw that to the plywood where the sheer line will be. Use 2x4 scraps to fill in the rest of the nose shape. When you strip your boat, run the ends vertically around the ends. Then when you run the side strips up to them it is easy to match the curve of the hull without having to worry about bending the extreme profile needed if you tried to run the strips to the ends. I find it easier on WW boats to strip the bottom of the hull first (which is the top of your forms when on the strongback) and then shaping the end profiles around the ends of the boat tying into the bottom strips. Then I strip up from the sheerline. It's much easier getting the strips to do what you want this way. When I get time maybe I'll post some shots of the Stinkeye and Al's Golden Monkey II (which I've filled out the ends of the boat at the sheerline to run drier since Al's a crazy paddler :D ) to show my solution.
It makes it pretty easy this way to have the basic hull shape but can vary the end shapes quite a bit if desired.
Go for it and have fun.
Mikey B
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

For what it's worth, here are some (a lot actually) of my photos building my StinkEye that MikeyB designed.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 2f943f236a
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Aaron, thanks for those pics - really makes it clear what you had to do to make the boat.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

this has been really interesting. I like the idea of the wood strip/foam hybrid design. I wouldn't have thought of trying anything like that. I'm thinking that will be the way to go for the design I've mapped out. Those online videos and articles really helped me out a bunch, too. I think I can see the way forward now. Of course, I assume the odds are small that I'm not going to make some amusing mistakes, so I hope I can keep checking back for more info.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

oh, and for those who asked..its a river runner. sharp edges. creeking would not be easy in it.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Keep us updated!
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Aaron, what's the weight of your stripper Stinkeye?
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

Just a quick note- if you use (polystyrene) foam in the ends, do your glass layup with epoxy resin or you'll end up with a big mess! If you need a bead and cove bit for the cedar strips, you can order them through Lee Valley Tools. I recommend marine resin glue for the cedar- comes in a powder you mix up with water. It's easy to use and cleanup and sands nicely.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

measure twice... cut once :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

No Craig, it's:

Measure once