Pump for videoboating

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xtraheat
C Boater

Pump for videoboating

Post by xtraheat »

Hi guys, over the summer I am going to be video boating on the New River Gorge (and maybe on the Gauley). I'll be in there at all different flows and as I'm sure some of you know it can get quite big so filling up in some rapids is pretty much a given. I paddle a closed L'edge, and unless I make the transition over to C-1, I'm going to have to install some sort of electric pump so that I don't hold the trips up. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best and most efficient pump/method of doing this? Thanks!
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Pump for videoboating

Post by Shep »

I think almost everyone is running some version of the Attwood. You can get them for <$40 at places like Walmart and Academy Sports. When I had a boat with a pump, I had a heavy motorcycle-style sealed lead-acid battery. Since you will be using yours potentially every day, I think the expense of a compact lithium cell with a really good charger is probably justified. Others can probably make recommendations on the best place to order such an animal.

Hope this helps,
Shep
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

We have to agree that the closed L'Edge is heavy enough by itself without adding a 5 - 8 lbs+ lead acid batterie pack in it. I suggest you make a batterie pack out of NiMhs 1.2v. What you need is 10 NiMh batteries, 2x 4AA batteries holder, 1x 2AA batteries holder and a small Pelican case. These batteries have better performance than a lead acid batterie and the whole setup is super small and light. My batterie pack weighs about a pound and a half, give and take. I have another 10 spare batteries than I can take with me for long trips. A bit more expensive, and a little longer to make than a traditional lead acid kit, but definitely better. You can look at buying the stuff you need on eBay if you want to save a bit of $$.

This photo is from someone else's setup, mine is almost identical. Good luck. :D
Attachments
IMGP0432.JPG
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Cool job, xtraheat! What company will you video for? I've seen canoeing videographers in the New River Gorge pretty much running the rapids pretty dry on the levels I've paddled. By mid-season, you'll probably have enough experience that getting water in the boat have have to be intentional.

Have a great time.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

As a former video boater here is some advice. (keep in mind I was in a K1)

In the early season you might need the pump, the water is big on the new and moves along quick above 5-6 feet. Once the water drops out those pools are really slow moving and you have lots of times between each shot location to wait for your trip to catch up. During low water you'll have enough time to empty your boat, smoke a cigarette, do your intro, and make conversation with all the other vidiots on the rock with you, and you'll still be way ahead of your trip.

It wouldn't hurt for the early season bigwater trips and the occasional mid season bigwater trip to have a pump but realistically I don't think you'll be using it all summer.

When you get on the Gauley you'll need it more than the New, the Gauley has more rapids and you have less down time between shots than you do on the New.

Also, avoid seal-launching as much as possible, you'll wear out a new boat real quick if your working everyday sliding into the water.

Have fun and good luck.
The line will become apparent
xtraheat
C Boater

Post by xtraheat »

Thanks guys, appreciate the help! Is there a link or guide that details how to actually go about installing the pump? I don't really have any knowledge of how they work.

I'll be working for Class VI. I've run the NRG dozens of times and can generally get down most things pretty dry but am often pretty swamped from Middle/Lower Keeney at about any level over 1 foot. Above 4-5 feet a lot of the rapids tend to fill me up. It's quite likely as I progress from boating the river so much I'll learn to keep it pretty dry but I'd still imagine a pump may be useful. I also get worn out picking up that L'edge when it's full and emptying it so if I'm doing multiple trips in a day I probably don't want to exhaust myself too much.

Paddler, I'd imagine you're pretty spot on about that. I actually tend to fill up a lot more on the NRG at reasonably high flows than the LG. Lower Mash is the only one on the LG that I can never seem to find a dry line through. Actually come to think of it, I think running the NRG dry above 5-6 feet is harder than running the UG dry aside from Lost Paddle and Pillow (not saying the NRG is harder by any means, it just seems bigger).

Like I said earlier, I'd imagine even if I do get really confident with dry lines I think a pump would just save some trouble and would be pretty convenient.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm just gonna offer a suggestion to amend the design o the NiMh setup as I have plans to do something similar.

The 1.2V AA cells will give you 1.2V at maximum charge and loose some from there. Because most 12V alternators actually produce between 14-15V (needed to charge 12V lead acid battery's) vurtually any 12V accessory or motor used in marine or automotive applications will handle 15V without any trouble. For building a battery pack for a bilge pump out of 1.2V cells, go ahead and use 12 instead of 10 1.2V AA NiMh battery's (12x1.2V=14.4V), it'll pump a bit faster, last a bit longer and may actually be better for the motor as low voltage can be very hard on electric motors.

Also, if you decide to go with NiMh battery's, do some research as not all of them are created equal. Some have much higher capacity, can be rapid charged and have low charge loss in storage.

Having said all of that, if you wan to keep it simple you could use a 2.7Ah lead acid battery (not crazy heavy) and have two or just charge every day. I have a 2.7Ah battery that'll last two days running hard on the Gauley.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

on e-bay for about $30 12volt 5ah sealed battery with charger. you can get a good switch at lowes for $5 with the rubber booty on it.
Attachments
battery.jpg
battery.jpg (3.07 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

5.3 ahr SLA batteries don't weigh 5-8 lbs. Use an SLA. Simpler and easier and does not require waterproofing or a fuse. With the weight of the decked Ledge you won't notice the battery weight at all. I do think using two Attwood Tsunami 1200 pumps running off the same switch and battery; one in front of the saddle and one behind, will pump you dry fast even at high flows.