Open boats at FIBArk?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Shep
CBoats Addict

Open boats at FIBArk?

Post by Shep »

I also asked this over on the FB Open Canoe Slalom website, but haven't gotten many responses... Is FIBArk worth going to as an open boater? Particularly with an eye towards the Slalom event, but also in general. It's about a 2.5 hour longer drive than the Ocoee from me, so I'm interested, but I could also potentially just go east and paddle that weekend.

Thanks,
Shep
kslund
Pain Boater

Re: Open boats at FIBArk?

Post by kslund »

FIBArk usually coincides with high water on the Ark - most of the colorado canoers I know avoid the Ark during that time period. That said, I think there are usually a few. I think Cadster might be attending - he might know of more canoers going. I'll ping him on facebook.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Flow likely won't be high this year. Snowpack is just now catching up to normal. Optimistically 1000 CFS, which I think is a good open boat level.

Plus a lot Colorado canoers have gone to decked boats and shouldn't be excused from high water. The reason the Front Rangers usually give is that they don't want to drive to the Ark when closer options are available.

I was likely the last open canoe to enter the long downriver race in 2011 at 3500 CFS. My partner and I did it in under five hours with one flip. With a partner, I'd consider doing it again.

I doubt an open boat has entered the slalom in several years, but this could be a good year to do because of moderate flow. I know of six CO open boaters who've been showing up at slalom races recently. I could check to see if they have an interest in FIBArk.

There was a low water slalom in Salida this past weekend and there were three OC1's racing. I wimped out due to sore muscles from a Royal Gorge run, snow falling in the morning, and winds swinging gates.

There's a slalom in Durango the week before FIBArk. The Animas looks to end up further behind snowpack-wise than the Ark so again should be good OC levels.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

It's worth noting that FIBArk boating events are only a small part of the festival these days. It's more about beer, music, and break-apart floats.