River Elf Storm Chaser C-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

unkltwisto
C Boater

River Elf Storm Chaser C-1

Post by unkltwisto »

Hey C-Boaters! Just wanted to post an announcement about a new company called River Elf. We specialize in composite whitewater boats and have created a true modern recreational C-1 designed by C-boaters called the Storm Chaser. We plan to be at the C-1 Armada with a couple of our boats during memorial day weekend if you would like to try one out. Anyway, just wanted to let you in on the news.

Check out our website: www.RiverElf.com and let us know what you think...

We're just starting out but have some big plans and best of all, we're dedicated to c-boats!

SYOTR!
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: River Elf Storm Chaser C-1

Post by canotrouge »

Cool, Looking great, I don't know much about C1(non conversion) but that look real good!! What is the layup? Any OC1 in the work??

I really like the fact that you offer some thing for bigger paddlers!!

Cheers and good luck!!
David
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Thanks David. No plans to offer it in PE anytime soon - we are really dedicated to and believe in composites. The hull is almost 100% kevlar with some s-glass for abrasion resistance - its reinforced in various spots and can range anywhere from 5-10 layers thick -which adds toughness without adding excessive weight. The decks are similar but we are always tinkering with things.

We've been really pleased with their toughness! we've been running over and into rocks testing them this winter and the results have been great - flexing like a plastic boat without any damage. They are tough and highly responsive.

If things go well, we have been discussing the idea of adding an OC-1 to our offerings so stay tuned.
Thanks for your interest!
Chris
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Chris, that is great to hear. you don't have to convince me on composite boats, I have 3 of them. I should get my Shacho from Millbrook in a week or so....

A friend of mine as a Viper 12 in Kevlar duraflex that is 15 or so years old and still going strong!!

Like I said , good luck!

Maybe you'll have one of your boat in the north west(Yukon) one day....
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Very nice. Reminds me of the erstwhile Dagger Magnet.
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

That would be awesome - we'd love to have them enjoyed by our brothers in the north country and folks all over the globe :) - we've sure been having a lot of fun in them down here in the southeast this winter.

Yeah, we're trying to spread the faith on composites - not everyone has had a chance to really paddle them or understand how great it is to have a boat that weighs 23-24 lbs vs 45-50 lbs and experience how tough they can be if you don't use laminate stiffiners in the hulls (like they do on racing boats).

Thanks again for the well wishes.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Cool! Your located about 60 miles north of me. You've got my attention. An OC-1 would perk me up even more. Good luck! I hope you sell a million.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Those hip blocks reminded me of who y'all are. Really pleased to see y'all have the business moving along. I still have the Deadline I got from you several (many?) years ago. If I remember right, one of you was tweaking the shape of the Zealot. Did you ever come up with anything?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Thanks for all the positive vibes guys...

KNeal - yeah thats us, we wanted to get the "mad dog" stuff back out there and will hopefully be adding a few new accessories soon. We did finish the slalom long boat C-1 (13' 2") we were working on (2002) - it turned out fairly well considering it was our first attempt at boat design. It was a slalom boat for larger paddlers - the stern was derived from the Zealot but wider. The bow was super flat on the bottom with harder chines than the zealot and it wasn't cockpit forward. We built a couple of them and even had a short version for general river running. We actually still have the mold but its in rough shape.

Are you coming to the armada? I'd love to see what you think of our new C-1 - we've come a long way since that first boat :)

OC One Blade - thanks, if you'd ever like to try one out, give us a shout and we can plan to meet up at Bear Creek, the Locust/Mulberry etc...

EZWater- thanks, I wasn't familiar with the magnet - yeah you're right it does look like a shorter version of it - I wonder if a mold for it still exists?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Magnet mold was destroyed, but with the previous mold owners permission, as well as some of the designers a new mold has been built. Eventually I'll have images of the finished boat... hopefully soon:)

GREAT to see your latest project! Looks like a sweet boat! I wish I could make the armada this year, but I'm sure I'll be hopping in to one sooner or later:)
Keep the C!
Adam
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Thanks Adam- I appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing the finished magnet too!
Chris
atcq
C Boater

Post by atcq »

Great looking product and nice website, best of luck guys. Any chance you guys will be at Moosefest or any other events besides the Armada this season?
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Nice looking boat. I too believe in composites. I have 2- Viper 12's and a Clipper Merganser that are 20 + years old and still going strong. 2 of em were on top of my truck when I endered over a 100 foot bank and went for a tobaggon ride on top of em. Straightened a gunnel or 2 and paddled them the next day. Truck was a right off. The Merganser was brand new never been on the water. Since then they have been abused and paddled hard. (Or I thought until I went and Paddled Tennessee)

Need to get one of em for a demo up here at Yukan Canoe :) so people can try 1 out
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys...

atcq:

We're still deciding on which events we will attend this year. We are going to be at the armada on saturday for sure - planning on cheat narrows - (maybe sunday but not definite). I think the north branch of the potomac may also be running that weekend and is a possibility depending on interest level.

We'll be in the DC area the following week as my nephew preps for jr slalom trials. After that, its up in the air right now - although weve been talking about the possibility of fibark so we can get some exposure for our boats out west...check back periodically on the website and we'll update as soon as we know regarding late summer and fall festivals...we will also be at the ocoee on occassion during the weekends this summer - so that might be a possibility if anyone is down this way...

yukon:

thanks for the interest. I'm encouraged by all the folks who appreciate composite boats. I am also getting a lot of inquiries from people in western canada wanting to try out our boat - i am doubtful its in the cards for us this summer but we need to make that happen!

Chris
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

This looks like a serious leap forwards in the design of purpose built C1's... I'm not convinced that the Composite layup can ever really be as good as PE at taking nasty hits though, which I personally see as limiting it's appeal.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)