AB Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Outsiderob
c

AB Question

Post by Outsiderob »

Does anyone know if I can get an AB 2 piece with an additional T grip end of another length to save a little money and have more paddle length versatility? Is this a viable idea before I contact AB? I'm newer to this computering than I am to paddling and would appreciate feedback.
If it's a little low I'm still gonna go.
ezwater
C Maven

Re: AB Question

Post by ezwater »

I'm too old to know what "AB" is. But the idea of an add-on segment, and of a removable T grip, doesn't work for me. The kind of force I put on paddles will make the T grip twist, the add on segment twist, and the paddle feel "loose". And any jointing system strong enough to avoid those problems is going to add weight to the paddle.

I use 61" slalom paddles, and for some strange reason, it doesn't matter whether I am paddling c-1 kneeling on a 6" pedestal, or OC-1 kneeling on a 10" pedestal. I wonder if you can just adapt so your one paddle length fits for all your uses.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I know that AquaBound does offer 2 or 3 piece options, so it doesn't hurt to ask. Are you wanting it as a break down spare or for a primary paddle?
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

AB is Aquabound. I can't confirm availability but I'm sure it's possible.

I can say that two piece paddles are back up paddles for a reason. The one I tried had a bit of play and didn't feel the same. I wouldn't want a two piece as my primary stick if this is what you're considering.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Yes, I believe AB will do that for you. They are a small outfit, making each paddle by hand. Just tell them up front and they will build it so that you get an additional T grip end of another length.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outsiderob
c

Post by Outsiderob »

I want it as a break down spare for ww, my primary is an Edge 60" one piece. I paddle my Odyssey 14 in some really shallow small creeks sometimes and the 60" is a little long, if I can multitask with the break down it will help spread out the additional investment. I'll get in touch with AB and see who to order this through. ACK sold me the 60 and I found them very good to deal with. Thanks for the info, is the break down really that sloppy? In the little creeks that wouldn't be too bad and as a spare it will beat my not so fantastic plastic collection for "stowability" and reliability?
I got a canoe for my wife, it was a pretty good trade...
If it's a little low I'm still gonna go.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I have a friend that uses an breakdown AB paddle as his primary paddle and has never complained of it being sloppy. I suppose if you are constantly taking it apart and reassembling it, it could possibly get a little loose, but I doubt that. He bought the paddle because is was a good price, not because it was a breakdown.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Besides the slop issue, there is the matter of having even or smoothly graduated flex along the entire shaft. And each joint creates a stress riser where the shaft may break.

I imagine AB would not sell breakdown shafts if they thought they were greatly inferior to non-segmented shafts. But I would not use one except as a spare.

On shallow creeks, sit up straight and raise your shoulders. I find no need at all to use a shorter paddle in shallow water. A longer shaft also helps when poling in shallows or reaching to fend off rocks is necessary.