Options for younger developing Open Boaters

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Neill.2
C Boater

Options for younger developing Open Boaters

Post by Neill.2 »

Hey Canoe Crew:
I am looking to kick my 10 year old out of my tandem boat and start letting him get his feet wet in his own boat. A few boats that come to mind for the short and long term are all vastly different...

-An old Mohawk Probe 12 I am going to have to rebuild (stable and reasonably cheap)
-An Esquif Zephyr...(small, light, (more than I want to spend) but should be a good long term boat...I have no experience in this boat though and can't find one local to test drive)
-A Mohawk Solo 13...I had him on fast moving technical blackwater this weekend in this boat and it was perfect for him...handled it like a pro. But I just can't see retro fitting a boat that was not built for white water. by the time I add a skidplate, airbags, knee pads, replace the seat w/custom pedestal I am looking at some serious cash which is in low supply.

Has anyone weaned their kids successfully from a tandem into their own boats? What are the do's and don'ts, what boats did you use...

Thanks
Neill
avlclimber
C Guru

Re: Options for younger developing Open Boaters

Post by avlclimber »

Cheap, beat-up detonator? soft chines will put up with his weight and easier rivers. tumblehome offers easy reach-across for cross strokes. light enough for him to push around. Lack of forward speed/tracking may be an issue.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I thought the (relative lack of) stability of my Taureau was a bit of a challenge, but I am surprised by how many photos I see of younger people paddling them. There are always the kid-specific designs: converted Remix 47, Composite Creations Splash, Electro (I think that's the name... search the forum), and I think Jeremy's got one in the works.

I wouldn't go longer than a Zephyr or an Ovation unless your son is extremely tall. That is based on my experience teaching 13-15 year olds and smaller adults though.

Hope this helps,
Shep
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Neill,
I'm pretty close to you. Mooresville, NC. My elder daughter moved out of the tandem and into a Probe 11. She then moved to a Spanish Fly. Loved it. My younger one moved from the tandem to a Zephyr. She used a 2-bladed paddle at first, but is tall enough now to use the single blade. I have a number of boats that you are welcome to demo. Zephyr, Rival, Prelude, Spanish Fly, Quake, Detonator. Sending you a PM with my phone number.

David
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Neill.2 wrote:
-An old Mohawk Probe 12 I am going to have to rebuild (stable and reasonably cheap)

If it's in need of rebuilding, and sufficiently cheap, maybe remove 2-3 feet from the center, patch back together and have a Probe 8 or 9. Something to think about anyway.

Measure first... :wink:
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Splash, Phantom, or other small and light boats (heavier boats will be much more tiring to a youngster). You might even want to look in to a glass or kevlar slalom design (older) that though long may still work fine due to the light weight.

Lots of other good options listed already too.

And definitely take advantage of the demo opportunity!
Keep the C!
Adam
OC1_PDLR
c

Post by OC1_PDLR »

My son moved to a Probe 12 as his first OC1 when around 11-12 years old. He likes it, but for the class II stuff we do, he was worn out I think mainly due to the size/weight of the boat. I picked up a Mohawk Rodeo this spring, and he loves it (now at 13). The Probe doesn't get much use now. The Rodeo takes more attention to paddle, but at his weight, it's still a pretty stable option for him.
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

Thank you all for the responses...sounds like I am on the right track. David got your message, it will be good to talk to somebody who has paddled this river before!

Neill
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

A taureau isn't a bad choice for a smaller paddler it's light and it won't be too squirrelly for a light paddler. I ve seen Yukon's son shredding some bigs waves on the Ottawa in one. I wouldn't be too concerned about putting them in a "beginner" boat- they ll be bored in no time. Plus The lastest kayak designs are going to look extra cool from the saddle of probe.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I'd go for the probe over the xl.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

I had a friends daughter 11 yrs old paddle a Rayge down some class 2 for 3 miles., the boat did all the work, she loved it, very stable, didn't swim.
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

A Millbrook Rayge
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

I saw the Millbrook Boats... several I think could work great for him... like the Shacho or the Rayge...But I have no idea where to find one to let him test paddle in Carolinas... I am kinda partial to Millbrook as we paddle a MR Howler Tandem now. This post can be considered a WTB ad as well :)

I had my Son on the water today in the Mohawk Solo 13, boy is he excited to be paddling on his on a little bit. Good times!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My little guy (10) has been playing around with an Old Town Pack : https://picasaweb.google.com/1038689084 ... LilyCruise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We do have a couple of Dancer XSs, might convert one for him (Seth Chapelle style)...
kmcinturff
C Boater

Post by kmcinturff »

My son paddles a Taureau and loves it. He is 8 years old and has been in it for one year. He does great on runs like the Cartecay, upper hooch, Hiawassee, and Tesnattee. He is so light that the boat rarely takes on any water, and seems to bob right over waves. Windy days, and long stretches of flatwater are not fun in this little boat with my little guy - but that would probably not be fun for any eight year old in any boat! When we get to long, flat, windy areas, I will sometimes pull up next to him and let him hold on to take a break. https://picasaweb.google.com/kjturff/Ca ... 1447200066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;