Options for younger developing Open Boaters

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kmcinturff
C Boater

Re: Options for younger developing Open Boaters

Post by kmcinturff »

One other thing - a nice canoe paddle for a little guy is non-existent. You can cut down a canoe paddle, but a cut down canoe paddle may have too large of a blade. I found a nice broken kayak paddle, cut it to the right length for him, and added a t-grip. The blade is much smaller than a normal canoe blade allowing him to take proper strokes.
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

That Taureau looks nice...in a boat like that he might can keep up with his older brother in the Kayak! I can tell he likes it and it fits him well from the pictures...even from the distance he looks like he is happy and confident...and that confidence is exactly what I want to instill!

Somebody posted picture of a spider lilly trip, what river was that on?

Neill
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

As for paddles, the Aqua-bond edge is actually easy to re shape the blade to a smaller size, not only cut it length wise, but also trim the width.

So find a friend with an old "worn out" Edge, and re shape it to suit your kid!!
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

I think Options are great boats for younger boaters .... although a little bit heavy! :O)

Seriously, I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but try an Ion! Once the kid learns to paddle it in a straight line he will ride up and over anything!
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

If you have a ten-year old, you'll likely not have to look for stability too much, but rather for a lightweight and narrow boat.. so he/she can reach the water! So the challenge is the same as with smaller women (or guys). I'd go Millbrook if possible, Inferno for example although it is quite high, or get a spark, OR just start them out in C1 (but mind you, they could get used to a skirt.. see Chad Lewis ;D).

Cut-down paddle is good, also cut down the blade. Easy! Or build your own - more of a challenge, but one of the simplest things to build in terms of canoeing gear and could be a good father-son / mother-daughter project as well.

I'd say, as a general line of thought for boat selection..

- light over heavy (spark, zephyr, millbrooks.. c1 maybe, depending on what, taureau.. or some older royalite boats?)
- narrow over wide (zephyr.. hmm.. spark yeah, etc.. also think about boats that you can pull in a bit!)
- driveability over dryness (Maybe a Quake? Although it's wide.. but they're out there..)

Enjoy!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Neill.2 wrote:...
Somebody posted picture of a spider lilly trip, what river was that on?

Neill
That was on the Broad into the confluence with the Saluda (forming the Congaree) in Columbia, SC - just down the road from you. Our colony was a bit smaller this year than normal - I'm wondering how much the high water earlier this year had to do with that. Landsford Canal State Park has the biggest colony I've seen - hopefully theirs are doing better.
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

Update: We picked up an Esquif Taureau this weekend for my 10 year old. We put him on the lake at Fontana and he was able to do Cross Strokes without any problem, the boat was pretty stable at his weight and he even had some semblance of tracking. Now the hard part; trying to convince him that we have a lot of lake work and river skills to develop B4 he is ready for solo whitewater! Kids are fearless which is a bit reassuring and scary at the same time.

Thanks for all the advice, input...special thanks for the pics of the kids in their boats, Dave for the phone conversation and Rick for parting with his Taureau!

Now lets get out an paddle some...

Neill
kmcinturff
C Boater

Post by kmcinturff »

Awesome Neill. Post some pics!

My son soloed the Nanty on Sunday - probably the hardest thing he has done to date solo. He put in below Pattons and took out before the falls. What amazed me is that I kept checking his boat for water - none. Finally, about two thirds down he asked me to get the water out of his boat. He had about a quarter inch! He is so light, and the boat is light, so he just bobs right over the tops of the waves.

Hope your son enjoys it as much as mine.

Kevin
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I have built a Maxim for a kid and he loves it. Made it shallower so the gunnels are not in his arm pits. He is so light that the boat is pretty stable and seems fast for his size
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I started my grandson in a Hydra Duet then he switch to my Outrage. The Outrage is a very responsive boat without sharp chines which could easily flip him. He loves it and does excellent with it. Now I'm stuck with paddling an Encore unless he's not around.

Jim M
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

We had a our first solo descent last weekend on the Lower Green. Dad was pretty blown away with how well he handled the Taureau...no flips, trips or mis-tips.

We are paddling this weekend (and Monday ) at WOR...any other families paddling that want to get our kids together on the river?

And again thanks to the C-boat community especially David for all the help.

Neill