L'Edge or OCtane1 ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

roscoe
c

Re: L'Edge or OCtane1 ?

Post by roscoe »

Wendy,
The tip about carving the foam that way, would have been nice to know. I haven't heard that before.
Ross
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Some people like to leave their knees straight ahead, but I have always found better boat control. Although I don't have a reliable combat roll, this allows such improved control I am able to do deep onside braces, and just brought the bought over from a 90 degree offside with an airbrace. This would never have been possible without carving the knees out.
OC1again
c

Post by OC1again »

Wendy - Thanks for the foam carving idea. That is something I might try.

I got out yesterday on a creeky run - really, below my ELF - and had a blast, and the control was great. Didn't have to roll (or dust myself off after falling over). I boofed a couple small ledges and dropped through a fun slot or two. The very dry impression from earlier held firm.

The problem I have now is that I really want to start paddling like I used to years ago. The wife supports it right now... We will see. Haha!

Steve
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Wendy wrote:Steve, carve the foam so your knees are almost touching the sides. This makes the handling even better, and hip snaps with ease.
+1 did that my SF, it definitely made a difference.
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Yeh, I get the "demo, demo, demo" idea, but there are no demo boats available near home, and, away from home, I am reluctant to drag my travelling companions around to wherever there might be an available demo, or give up a weekend of actual boating for a weekend of demoing on some river I don't like, like the Nantahala.

The huge preponderance of opinion favors the Light L'Edge, so, this Fall, after I finish paying for (a) extensive dental work (in progress) (b) new gas furnace replacing my old oil-burner (installed, not yet tested) (c) new Mercedes Sprinter replacing my beloved, perfectly laid-out and outfitted, and totally dependable Econoline (on order for early July delivery) I will look at the checkbook and see if it can sustain a new, wood-trimmed, yellow Light L'Edge!

Meanwhile, I'll try to make time to spend a weekend near Asheville, where I could try one of Eli's boats since he is an Esquif rep (I refuse to demo a boat from a retailer if the odds of buying from that particular retailer are low, but since an Esquif boat is the prime candidate I would not hesitate to borrow a boat from their rep). Maybe I'll get lucky and manage a Big Laurel/Nolichucky Gorge demo weekend! Or French Broad 9 at a minimum.

Thanks again for the advice,
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Nothing really matters except boats, sex, and rock'n'roll
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll