Dry Suit help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

D-Caption
C Guru

Dry Suit help

Post by D-Caption »

I am about to drop the big bucks for a new Kokatat dry suit. I am 5ft 8 in 172 lbs. I seem to be stuck between a med and large. Are these suits cut big for layering? I was hoping to not have to get a custom fit and pay extra, they are expensive enough as is. I would appreciate any advice, I am sure thers is someone out there my size that has already gone through the process. What to do, please help.

thanks

Wayne Walker
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Re: Dry Suit help

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

I'm 5"9", 170 lbs, and my large Kokatat GFER fits just fine.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I'm 5'9" 180. The medium fits me fine with layering. Large would probably be easier to put on though. I don't think you would have a problem with either.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
canoewhitewater
C Boater

Post by canoewhitewater »

If you can try on a friends or find a kokatat dealer close by, try some on. I'm 5'9 180lbs. The large was too long and bulky for me. The feet get too bunched up in my booties with a large. My medium fits perfect for me.

If this is your 1st drysuit here is some things I've learned.

It a big investment! Treat it better than your boat. Stay away from sharp objects (pricker bushes, screws etc.) always hang it up when your done.

Don't go out and paddle with it until you a have trimmed the neck down. The neck comes super tight from the factory and is extremely uncomfortable unless trimmed. It is not uncommon to remove 5 or 6 rings from the top.

When trimming the neck, do not pinch the neoprene together and trim! It will look like you chewed it off. Get a nice pair of sharp scissors and trim one side at a time, following the ring all the way around.

Treat the zipper with care. Never force it. Once you've zipped it properly a few times, you will get the feel. Keep it lubricated as well.

I highly recommend the kokatat GFER and invest in the fleece union suit. I paddled in New Hampshire all last winter with that combo, never got cold once. No need for any xtra layering. Having this suit will open your season tremendously. Good luck