Nor cal open boaters? Resources??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

elunopaddle
c

Nor cal open boaters? Resources??

Post by elunopaddle »

So I just landed in Redding, CA, and its not the cradle of open boating, like the southeast. But the rivers are incredible, and not crowded at all. I don't hardly see but a kayak at all, either. So, anyone out there? Anybody know what clubs are in this neck of the world that are more than flat water rec kayaking?

Thanks,

Elunopaddle
"Half the paddle...you get the picture."
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Re: Nor cal open boaters? Resources??

Post by valhallalongboats »

The Six Rivers Paddling club out of Humboldt county is one open boater club. The Post Group out of the Bay area is another. It depends on what kind of water you are looking to paddle. They mostly do class I and II water. I am just getting back into the game after an 8 year hiatus and I am doing time guiding open boating between Yreka and Redding. I'm also building a new canoe I designed. There are a couple of good open boaters in Redding, they do the American, the Feather, Trinity, Upper Sac, class III/IV stuff pretty regularly. I don't have their contact info but I can probably find it. There is an open boater I haven't met yet who lives in Arcata, CA who supposedly takes his open boat up and runs Burnt Ranch Gorge, which is fairly serious class V. I'm pretty comfy on III/IV right now, though I used to paddle a little V and I would like to get back into it. I'm pretty booked guiding for most of August, but feel free to PM me and we can see if we can put some groups together in September.
California does have some pretty amazing rivers...and TRUE NOR CAL (where you now be) in the Springtime is a mecca. Within 1 hour of less of Redding you have Clear Creek (III-IV) Upper Sacramento (III-IV) Trinity River, Pigeon Point Run (III) McCloud River (III) Battle Creek (III+) Cottonwood Creek (III-IV) and a bunch of other places I won't bore you by listing.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

You should run over to the north feather for the release this weekend. You'll probably be the only open boater, but there will be at least 1 c1er and a whole bunch of other great folks with two blades.
Larry
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Hey there! I'm always lookin to meet with other NorCal open boaters, also comfy on class III-IV. Would love to catch up with some of y'all for some fall time dam release stuff!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I would be interested in running Chili Bar and the Gorge on the South Fork American near Sacramento, weekends. If we can get three open canoes, that might count as an armada considering how few open boaters there are in CA. Email me at john 1 zillion 2000 at hotmail.com.

It would be cool to do a spring armada with all of the class III-IV stuff, Smith, Upper Sac, class III-IV creeks, etc.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Johnd-
I'll be down for a little Sofo after the commercial rafting season tapers off for us up here. Let's get after it near the end of September, for sure!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Six Rivers Paddling Club will paddle up to class III runs. I.e.: Pigeon Point, on the Trinity River, and the Happy Camp run on the Klamath as examples. Were not as active as we used to be unfortunately. and in Redding, check out Shasta paddlers, I think they have a Yahoo website.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Well, I'm busy thru most of August doing guide work, but if ya'll want to set up a 'mini-armada' (2 open boats pretty much qualifies out here) we should hit the Trinity River for Labor day. There are always lots of folks who show up for that event, and the Trinity is one of the only rivers still running at that time! I will be there.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

valhallalongboats wrote:Well, I'm busy thru most of August doing guide work, but if ya'll want to set up a 'mini-armada' (2 open boats pretty much qualifies out here) we should hit the Trinity River for Labor day. There are always lots of folks who show up for that event, and the Trinity is one of the only rivers still running at that time! I will be there.

Rob
Hey Rob - I'm planning on Pigeon Pt a time or two on Labor Day. Got a couple of other open boaters up for it, too. We'll be camping at Hayden Flat, Fri-Sun. Pm me and we'll get connected on that.

We got Elunopaddle out on some of our local whitewater yesterday, and he was lovin' it. Another good open boater out here is a welcome addition. 8)
valhallalongboats
C Guru

I'll be there man!
I just picked up a Dagger Encore (circa 1989) in good shape for a measly 200.00. Painted it red and I'm fixing up the outfitting now. Gonna go old school this fall! 8).
elunopaddle
c

Post by elunopaddle »

Had a great time on the South Fork American yesterday. Thanks for the invite and showing me the lines! I'm down for Pigeon Point on Labor Day weekend. I have some outoftown guests coming in, but I think they are leaving b4 the weekend.

Elunopaddle/Dan
"Half the paddle...you get the picture."
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Elunopaddle,
Hook up with 'Gold Country Paddlers'. It will cost you ~$15/year and you will be plugged into a large network of boaters. They are primarily kayakers, of course, but they welcome C-boaters. A good bunch of people. You will have a good idea of what is going on boating-wise in the California area by getting their emails.
P.S. We have a whitewater park here in Reno and further upstream the Truckee River runs all summer long with a nice class 2-3-4 run :o . Come on down sometime.
SYOTRiver,
Bruce Farrenkopf
Reno, NV
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

+1 on what Bruce said. The playpark in Reno is super fun and mellow, and the scenery is always interesting :wink:
If you ever wanted to run some fun and technical class 2 and 3 on the Truckee, let me know! I know the run from Boca reservoir to Floriston really well.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

Hey Truckeeboater and other Cali Boaters,

I will be coming out to a conference in Sacramento in early October.

Anyone interested in meeting up for a paddle (or at least a Pizza).

Jim
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Hey Jim!

I'm always down for some pizza! Will you be passing thru my neck of the woods again? Let me know when you'll be around. Lookin forward to seein ya!
Peace Pow and Paddling!