Pump Adhesives

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Creeker
CBoats Addict

Pump Adhesives

Post by Creeker »

My daughter bought me a Attwood pump for Christmas and I'm thinking for my birthday I'll finally install it. The question that comes to my mind is what type of adhesives do you all use for installing a pump. I don't want to lose that baby.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Pump Adhesives

Post by Wendy »

I strap the pump in and also use airbag. I have never glued and never lost a pump.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I think you should try this instead of the Attwood - will handle the load better. Not sure on the adhesives - can probably wedge it under an airbag :P .

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _4869_4869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

"Paging Eddy McGnarlz. Eddy McGnarlz to Aisle 3 please." :evil:
FURZTROCKEN!
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

In what type of OC will you be installing it?

Thought you were the "original" NO Pumps guy.... :lol:

Big Al
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I believe that it requires weldwood green can for pumps. ALthough I've heard some people get better results with Aquaseal if you aren't using an Atwood.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

I don't glue them down any more. Three pumps were ruined by hull impact driving the impeller up tight to the pump housing (whereupon the motor fried), or by bending the impeller shaft. I now use D-rings and straps and a bit looser coupling. Doesn't seem to affect performance.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Gflex, obviously.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Just run a couple pieces of wires to the pump to hold in place (center right behind saddle - placed so I can lean a tad to my on-side in an eddy to get more water out when needed) and under the air bag of course.
Never have glued in any pump – and never lost one (yet). Electical wiring issues is a different story. :-(
Some folks actually physically install in the pedestal itself and I've seen some very slick set ups. I'm just not motivated enough and never had an issue. GDI has a number of photos of set ups.
Best of fun installing! Oh and …… ADHESIVES!!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I use Velcro with a strip of the "hooks" glued to the bottom of the pump basket with contact cement, and a strip of the "loops" glued to the hull bottom with contact cement. I use the same pump in multiple boats so it is easy to move around. Seems to work pretty well.
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

I've had good results with Weldwood Red Can. It has held the pump in place through some hard usage, and I've had it there for a year. I tried all sorts of arrangements using D rings, and this works as well or better.

Preparation: Air temp should be at least 65 F. Sand both surfaces until slightly rough, then clean with acetone. When dry, put on the first coat of glue. Put a thin coat on both surfaces, let it dry completely, put on another coat, give it 30 minutes. Then join the surfaces. Of course, the pump outlet should be pointed in the right direction! Then leave it alone for 24 hours to be well on the safe side.

BTW, I've done this with both a royalex canoe and a Blackfly Option.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

first open can then inhale. :oops: repeat until the thought of glueing in a bilge has left your brain. lash that sucker in.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

I cut a hole in the bottom of my saddle, where it sits snug: http://youtu.be/iQC58YVGA6o

No glue required.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

I thought this community had come to the highly enlightened and erudite conclusion:

'PUMP BAD!'

And also:

'MONGO NO LIKE PUMP!'

Not to mention:

'WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!'

Oh, and btw, don't glue it in...or as our friends at Full Gnarlz would say,

'Don't glue that pump in...brah'
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I can't believe how many people are breaking with tradition here, I thought everyone knew that cut-clasp nails were the only acceptable method of attaching two items together in a boatbuilding project...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)