Liquid Logic and Pyranha conversion questions...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GSG
Pain Boater

Liquid Logic and Pyranha conversion questions...

Post by GSG »

Couple quick questions to help me narrow down my boat choices:

Can anyone confirm that LL is still willing to sell bare hulls? I asked my local dealer and they told me LL will only provide bare hulls for warranty replacements.

Is the stock rail in Pyranhas useable for conversions like the LL rail?

Thanks folks.
GSG
Pain Boater

Re: Liquid Logic and Pyranha conversion questions...

Post by GSG »

Ok, answered one of my own questions. Emailed Liquid Logic and they got back to me within an hour and stated that, yes, they still sell bare hulls. They're the first company to return my emails at all.

My local dealer must not want my money.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

GSG wrote:My local dealer must not want my money.
If I recall correctly the shops margin is pretty low to none-existant on shell-only boats...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
GSG wrote:My local dealer must not want my money.
If I recall correctly the shops margin is pretty low to none-existant on shell-only boats...
Well had they not lied to me they may have kept me as a customer for all the other things that they do make money off of.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Yes, you can use the rail in the Pyranhas. Here are some pictures of my H:3 conversion, I also used the same technique for a Burn. https://www.facebook.com/al.johnson.904 ... 235&type=3
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I am a Liquid Logic dealer and would happily order you a shell so that you may convert it into a proper boat. :)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I've done seat rail conversions in both LL and Pyranha boats and have been disappointed in all of them until I started stiffening the rail by gluing an old style narrow ski into the slot on the rail.
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

Cheajack: whats with the ski??? Does this prevent oilcanning from stress tranferred through central mounted thigh straps? Please elaborate... does conversion nix factory warranty on hull?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I don't know anything about conversions and warranties. I buy used but not abused kayak hulls to convert so not a warranty issue for me. I didn't reinforce the rail in my Karnali initially and when I broke the hull the rail bent and I never could get it perfectly straight again and I believe that contributed to oil canning that followed (but it also could have been related to the weld). I have a LL Remix 79 (which will get posted for sale soon) that I reinforced the rail with a ski and have absolutely no oilcanning in this hull. I put a Gyramax saddle in a Fluid Spice L (great C-1 btw) and reinforced the entire floor of the hull with 1/16" Kydex over 3/16" minicell and this hull hasn't oilcanned at all either. Newer kayaks seem to have some type of reinforcement or support for the hull built into the outfitting. I think this has come from attempts to make them lighter and more economically. Old kayak conversions (I have had lots of WS-Z's) and older purpose built C-1's never seemed to have serious oil canning issues, but were a lot heavier. I guess we should stick to injection molded hulls like the Prijons but the obvious trade offs are the weight and if they break they are done.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The LL shell i got had walls and a rail. I didnt depend on the rail alone. See pix in the link below.