Help choosing a versatile canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Offside
c

Re: Help choosing a versatile canoe

Post by Offside »

I've paddled my Wenonah Spirit II for over 10 years here in Arkansas, and have absolutely loved it. Many multi-day trips on class I/II and have been down the Rio Grande for 9 days. I catch eddies, peel out, surf without any problems even when the boat is loaded with my black lab sitting on top. Without a loaded boat, I would feel fine about running 2+, and have done so on many occasions. Though I have other whitewater boats, I would feel fine to take it down the Ocoee with the right partner.

kru
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Morph wrote:Hmmm, I see that my desire to do it all with one boat might be a bit overly-ambitious, so I'm going to change my strategy. I am more interested in going on flatwater trips than I am in paddling whitewater, so I would like a boat with stability and storage space. The ability to handle some light whitewater is desirable so that I can at least try running some class I-II. I have heard that the presence of a keel is basically a dealbreaker for running rapids - is this true, and are there any other design factors that would affect a boat's performance in turbulent water?
What is everybody's favorite river tripper? Thanks all, for the informative and enthusiastic responses.

Chris
Hence the point I was hopefully trying to make... the most versatile canoe ever made and still made in some variation by every canoe company at some point is the venerable 'Prospector' canoe. Everyone has made their own variation of 'it' over the years and it doesn't always go by the Prospector name but once you figure out the rough dimensions and characteristics of this boat you'll easily be able find one from any company that's made canoes in no time at all. There's a good reason this design hasn't changed much from the waterline down during the last 100+ years... and why companies still continue to make their own vision of 'it' today.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

This is primarily a whitewater oriented site - but there are certainly a few of us who paddle a little flatwater as well (just realize that whitewater is "downhill" so we all view flatwater as "uphill"paddling ;) )

Flatwater boats are just as varied as whitewater. I prize speed and glide above turning as i can make the boat turn. My current favorite solo tripper is an old Wenonah Advantage. Fine in class I and easy class II water. It is long and fast (16'), and can carry gear as well. That said, when funds allow I may replace it with a Savage River Blackwater (lighter and faster:) ).

I HIGHLY recommend trying lots of different boats before you purchase one - you may want to check out local paddling festivals (flatwater ones) and try a bunch of different boats; if you are shopping for a used boat it can at least help you determine what length you may want to focus on.

I absolutely would not run a keel boat in whitewater - you're just asking for damage and a good flipping when that keel strikes a rock. I'd rather run a longer, faster boat with no keel than a shorter keeled boat (keel just helps it track straight and not be blown sideways in the wind).

There are lots of flatwater forums you may want to check out- rivermiles, bwca, and paddling.net being the ones I immediately think of.
Keep the C!
Adam
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Morph wrote:Hmmm, I see that my desire to do it all with one boat might be a bit overly-ambitious, so I'm going to change my strategy. I am more interested in going on flatwater trips than I am in paddling whitewater, so I would like a boat with stability and storage space. The ability to handle some light whitewater is desirable so that I can at least try running some class I-II. I have heard that the presence of a keel is basically a dealbreaker for running rapids - is this true, and are there any other design factors that would affect a boat's performance in turbulent water?
What is everybody's favorite river tripper? Thanks all, for the informative and enthusiastic responses.

Chris
16 foot Old Town Penobscot would be a good choice for what you describe. It'll be efficient on flat water, carry a decent amount of gear, and can be gotten down class 1/2. Heck, people use Penobscots as downriver race boats in class 3. It also would be ok for soloing. If you want a little more maneuverability and capacity, look at a Prospector. Lots of companies make Prospector variants.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Chris
Check out a Dumoine or Prospector. Both are great boats and can do both.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks for all the tips - this has really helped to guide my search. Hopefully I'll be paddling a sweet new (used) canoe very soon!
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

+1 for the Rouge.
An awesome multi-day river tripper and it does quite well on flat water.
It is quite fast for a boat with 3"s of rocker and will hold a lot of gear.
I have mine set up with knee pads and straps, but use the cane seats as kneeling thwarts in white water.
For solo paddling, I turn it around and use the "front seat" and knee pads for that direction.
This puts you closer to the center of the boat. I have done a fair amount of lake paddling like this with no problems. Couldn't recommend this way for whitewater though.
My 2cents.
dance for rain
openboat
c

Post by openboat »

I had this same idea...so...I did a lot of research and determined that the Dagger/Mad River Legend 15 was the one boat that would do everything that i wanted to do. Moving flatwater, tandem trips with my girl, or buddies, and i could paddle it solo if nobody wanted go. Rated for up to class III whitewater which i thought was as big as i ever wanted to go. So...i found a deal on a mad river version in olive green (the color i really wanted) and bought it. I bagged it out and started paddling it. Some of the creeks and rivers i paddle in north alabama are slightly too technical for such a long boat, but overall it is awesome. I run class II and III almost exclusively and it handles it great solo and tandem. I have done a few overnight trips solo and tandem on moving flatwater and it also handles that well. It tracks good enough that flatwater is no issue with a good j-stroke or the tennessee twist, but with its moderate rocker it can still catch an eddy and ferry with a good power stroke. That being said i am currently in the market for a smaller more maneuverable whitewater boat. The ability of the legend has only whetted my appetite for whitewater and my ability has already surpassed the boat's. I want to run more technical creeks and bigger whitewater than a 15 foot boat can handle. However my legend is not and never will be for sale. IMO if i had to own one boat this would be it. Goldilocks so to speak.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I was recently reminded of threads like this one when an Old Town Cascade came up for sale recently - that my answer to the "one canoe" question (though personally I'm beyond wanting one canoe), and I guess the closet to that these days would be the Pocket Canyon.

Pat.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Mad River Legend 16 is a good all-round boat. Here is it in ocean surf http://youtu.be/_mfa4AcWV6k, & grade 1 and 2 whitewater http://youtu.be/6TPMAiN9C74

The Old Town Penobscot 16 is also good, but can be hard to turn (an advantage in windswept waters). Here is it is grade 2 whitewater http://youtu.be/nM-uU49QL_Q, & river tripping http://youtu.be/U4NNgFOt-Zc