Royalex is dead?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Royalex is dead?

Post by Sir Adam »

I've been known to use an outer layer of Dynel for abrasion resistence. It's worked well. For some flexibility using LESS layers can be good.... as well as vinylester vs. epoxy:)

Some of the old boats are surprisingly durable as they aren't as stiff... talking about glass / kevlar open canoes.
Keep the C!
Adam
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

I've taken my last twin tex wound. Every time I loaded the Zephyr I'd end up with twintex fibers in my forearms.
I bought a used Zephyr that had the same problem. A coat of Johnson's wax made the problem go away. I don't know how long a coat will last, but I've got 6 months on my first coat and it's still going strong.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SC-Johnson-1 ... guem23py2k
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

NickParker wrote:
I've taken my last twin tex wound. Every time I loaded the Zephyr I'd end up with twintex fibers in my forearms.
I bought a used Zephyr that had the same problem. A coat of Johnson's wax made the problem go away. I don't know how long a coat will last, but I've got 6 months on my first coat and it's still going strong.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SC-Johnson-1 ... guem23py2k
I've got to try that... I've got a can I use as a rust preventative on various tools....
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I would think that waxing Twintex would be a sure way to guarantee that nothing ever stuck to it ever ever again.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

cheajack wrote:I would think that waxing Twintex would be a sure way to guarantee that nothing ever stuck to it ever ever again.
That's fine by me. I only waxed the outside of the hull, and I don't have any plans to stick anything there.

If I ever felt the need to wax the inside I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Wax can be removed (with alcohol, mineral spirits, or ammonia).
woodsy
c

Post by woodsy »

Why not mold a boat out of foam like they use for pool noodles. No need for outfitting, just carve out the cockpit to fit. No leaky air bags. When you hit a rock, it just scrunches and absorbs the impact. It would be very light weight and cheap. You could even bore holes to keep your favorite beverage cold. If you destroy it, you go to Wally World and buy a new on.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

^Whoa. Flashback. I remember watching an episode of the kids' show "Zoom" in the 1970s in which a narrator showed you how to carve a kayak out of foam. I soooooooooooo wanted to do it, but my parents wouldn't get me the foam.
That was good tv, man. Good tv.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Somewhere Smerda has a picture of a canoe made out of pool noodles.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

You all know a lot more about this than I do. That being said, I don't think Twintex is the answer. We canoeists like to be able to make our own repairs. Better to go with a composite boat.

I don't think this will be the end of long boats either. It is only a matter of time before Esquif or another manufacturer comes up with a lighter, stronger PE. It only took a few years for them to shave 10 pounds off the Ledge, after all. Any how, once all the Royalex is gone and the hoarder boats sold, I hope that the composite manufacturers will create some composite Whirlwinds and Outrages, as I love those 12 foot boats. I would be happy to have that to paddle on the deeper Gauley-like rivers and keep the L'Edge for the rocky creeks.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

this---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBMwFQw9CEE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

so now we are going to play with dolls instead of boating. :evil: http://youtu.be/HGsDfLYeOHE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'