Ok, my turn to ask for OC roll help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Re: Ok, my turn to ask for OC roll help

Post by ohioboater »

Thought you all deserved a follow up. I know I always hate it when someone asks for suggestions and then never comes back to say if they tried any of them...

Anyway, I finally got some practice time in yesterday and tried the advice not to let my body go beyond perpendicular when sweeping out. Bam, 15 rolls in a row. I still have some refining to do, since I was feeling more pressure on my shaft hand during the finish than I think is appropriate. But a marked improvement already...
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

Hey man, I want to see the video.
Rand
Bravo man, now you got to go out on the river and screw up, and see how she flies.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Rand C1 wrote:Hey man, I want to see the video.
Here you go. Finish is still slow/labored. More work to do.

http://youtu.be/0bZv_7DxbVo

Went to a pool last night (no video) and concentrated on driving from the knees and making the rotation happen faster. That improved things some more, but I still don't like how much pressure I feel on my shaft hand at the very end, after the boat is 99% upright. Am I correct that proper technique should feel effortless throughout, as far as the arms are concerned? Or does the final low brace/forward sweep always have a bit of arm force to it?

I did some boat rotations on the side of the pool and found that there's a resistance point right after the onside gunnel breaks the surface, almost like all the water that got scooped up is fighting the rotation. Then after a pause, the resistance goes away, and the boat sloshes the rest of the way up.
...now you got to go out on the river and screw up, and see how she flies.
I think where I am now, I'm probably still not going to be 100% in swirlies or aerated water, but I'm guessing better than before.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

Hey man it looks good! Its all there, and your doing just what you should be(lots of reps). Im just a c1 guy(its easier) but a combat roll really changes the game. You did some good work. Rand
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Nice! That's a whole lot better. The setup is much improved and you're keeping your head down nicely.
I still think you would benefit by lifting the t-grip elbow out past the gunwhale. You're tucking that elbow next to your side. It looks to me like your "stall point" is happening when the t-grip elbow runs up against the side of the boat. Getting the elbow up and out will allow you to pull the t-grip farther across, which may help keep the momentum going. Also, pulling the t-grip up makes the blade dive down.

Feeling some weight on the blade at the end is normal. Feeling it early on is wrong.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Will work on the elbow thing. I'm not a natural athlete, so it takes this sort of deliberate analysis for me to figure a motion out.